Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems booting XP after patch

Its fully repaired, after I could get it to boot from the CDROM, I chose to reinstall, and then a little further into it, you can tell it to repair the installation. I only had to update a couple of drivers and of course reapply all the patches (this time it didn't nuke anything). All of my other settings, hardware, programs, etc were unchanged and work fine.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

We had at work a number of workstations with win2k that would not start after the winupdates.

I suspect that Nortton Anttivirus software might corrupt some files during servicepack 4 installation.

Just a guess really, but I wonder if you happend to have NAV on the box while running the updates?
    I did not do it.

Yes I did have NAV running while updating; however, I had long since installed SP4 with it running on Win2k with no issues. I also had NAV running on the XP box; however, when I went through and patched it after repairing it, I also had it running when it installed all the patches (including the one that nuked me), so I don't think it had much to do with NAV.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

AO French Antique News Whore
    SP4 sound full of bug... If you read this page http://www.w2knews.com/anecdotes.htm . Have a good read.
    -Simon \"SDK\"