Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update Question

Question Windows Update Question

With all these new and vicious Windows vulnerabilities that have been popping up everywhere lately, and finally having the connection to do so, I decided to finally run Windows Update. However, when I get to the WU website from the Start menu link, in each frame one the page, it tells me that I need to be running a Windows compatible OS, or something to that effect. The kicker is that I'm doing this from my XP SP1 partition.

Now, I guess the keyword there is 'partition' because I'm dual-booting with RH 9.0 as well. Now, a while back, I heard horror stories about how XP seriously dislikes dual-boots and some rumors about how Windows Update would destroy any non-Windows partition after the update was downloaded.

Now, my question is this: Is this Windows Update issue I'm seeing due to the fact that I am dual-booting?? Anyone else experience this same problem/issue?? I guess the worst case senario is that I temporarily erase my Linux partition to get the updates, but I'm just curious in general.

Thanks in advance,

alpha

Hi Alphabe.t....err. ...ian

This worked for me:

Go to the micro$oft website <dont use the win update icon.. dont let it search for 'necessary updates' find what you need manually. That might / should do it.

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

I had this problem when i had scripting disabled in my browser.So make sure scripting is enabled, disable ur firewall make sure ur accepting cookies and activex and it should hopefully work .

Still getting that same error type message no matter whether I go to M$ main page manually or through the shortcut, but I'll continue playing. Thanks for the advice, though. Good to know that it might not be a Linux thing after all...

alpha

IMHO, your first problem is using XP, at all. But if you are bound and determined to screw yourself under... it sounds like you browser settings are pooched.

This also might have to do with the recent windowsupdate.com attack virus. Make sure you patch your windows to allow for this. Good luck.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I have a dual boot setup with XP pro & Redhat, and have never had any problems with Windows update (there is absolutely no way it can or will interfere with your Redhat partitions).

You do need ActiveX controls & scripting enabled to run Windows update - check your browser to make sure these are set to 'prompt' or 'allow'. Make sure you go for the real Windows update site, which is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com , i.e. NOT windowsupdate.com.
    The Win update icon takes you to the right address anyway ...

There are no permanent cookies involved in this process, and disabling your firewall is most definitely not recommended or required (unless of course you have a rule that blocks access to this site in the first place).

Then choose the critical updates you are happy with, and let it get on with it.

EDIT: I also believe you have to run IE to get windowsupdate to work - it objects to other browsers.

Hi,

You might try manually obtaining and installing the latest Windows update manager?

Also, Windows is a bit like the first Commandment it is a jealous operating system that will tolerate no others before it. I seem to recall that it can overwrite files to prevent dual booting?

I have not dual booted for a while, but when I did, I had a product that managed partitions annd multiple OSes (I think it was called "System Commander"). The main advantage was that it "hid" operating systems from each other so that basic "shared" system files did not get overwritten.

The project was an OS migration, and I needed something reliable. I believe that there are a number of products that do this sort of thing? I know that you can do it by just using partitions or separate drives, but I think that you run the risk of one OS finding the other. I prefer to take a "belt and braces (suspenders)" approach.........then at least I know my pants won't fall down

Just a few rambling thoughts.............

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well for openers, if ActiveX was the issue it would tell you that "Administrators Only" have the ability to run updates, so that's not the problem.

To get around this problem, you can download and install hfnetchk and get a list of patches needed. The other GUI option you have is Microsoft baseline security analyzer. Although it does have the occasional false positive, it should suffice in light of your current issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...s/mbsahome.asp

Good luck.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

Also, Windows is a bit like the first Commandment it is a jealous operating system that will tolerate no others before it. I seem to recall that it can overwrite files to prevent dual booting?

I have not dual booted for a while, but when I did, I had a product that managed partitions annd multiple OSes (I think it was called "System Commander"). The main advantage was that it "hid" operating systems from each other so that basic "shared" system files did not get overwritten.

This is sort of true, but has absolutely nothing to do with the windowsupdate procedure.

If you want to go for a dual boot system, then you must ensure that Windows (any flavour) is installed in the primary partition, and that *nix has the extended partitions to itself.
    Windows & *nix will both attempt to rewrite the MBR (master boot record) on your HDD, when you instal them in the first place.

It's easy to fix - either use a decent *nix boot loader, or configure the *nix or Windows system to boot from a floppy instead.

This is not at all the same thing as saying that Windows Update will overwrite files in your *nix partition.

In fact, it cannot do so, as it doesn't even recognise the partitions, as they were probably formatted with a different file system, efs3.

I dual boot XP and Mandrake, and I am having Windows Update problems as well. It used to work fine, and I haven't changed any browser settings. My fiance's laptop can update just fine, and we're on the same connection. Weird.