"OutPost" firewall - flawed ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "OutPost" firewall - flawed ?

"OutPost" firewall - flawed ?

Before ya start negging me or flaming me....read this carefully.

Installed OUTPOST firewall (www.agnitum.com) on Windows 2K and immediately started getting PoP-Ups from "8ad.com". (Usual stuff - "Clear your computer of ......" "You are Being monitored")

Went through with Ad-Aware, SpyBot, X-Clean and nothing was found. (getting weird here)

Uninstalled OUTPOST firewall......and PoP-Ups stopped.

Would someone else please install Free version of Outpost firewall.....and see what happens ?

I'm not going to install it, just to see if it will screw anything up , but I searched Spychecker, and didn't find it there. I also read all of the privacy disclosures, at their site and found nothing.

I'd just recommend another firewall, and forget about Outpost, if it seems to be causing you problems. Try ZoneAlarm or Tiny Personal Firewall if you want a free one.

Also, get a pop-up blocker, or use a browser with PU blocking, like MoZilla firebird,regular Mozilla, or Opera.

Good luck

Corn

Hi Dcongram,

Hows it going mate? pesky freebie firewalls.

A couple of questions.
    Are you using ICS? (Internet Connection Sharing)?
    Did you download the new or old version of Outpost?

Went through with Ad-Aware, SpyBot, X-Clean and nothing was found.
    Ok as far as I know ad-aware and spybot do not neccisarily clean all Viruses.. and as far as I know X-Clean is a crappy non-recoverable disk formatt application?!?!wtf?!

Have you run a decent av scanner over it? Have you updated it recently?

Tell me what you find mate.... did you try a different firewall, was it any good?

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

maybe the trouble was in your computer before you installed outpost. try running a spyware remover like ad-aware
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Problem 'found' and solved.

It's NOT the OUTPOST firewall. It was Internet Explorer 5 running on Win 2K.
    Upgraded to IE6.....and it stopped.

Too weird.

Thanks for checking guys !!

Hi dcon..

I have just downloaded it and will try it on this WinMe box...............got a 2KPro box next to it, but haven't configured the broadband yet............tomorrow's a bank holiday, so I will get some time [for those who might not know...a "bank holiday" is a public holiday in England...........it is an interesting bit of history in British labour laws...but too long to explain here ]

My first thought is that if you are using the "free" version, it is probably supported by advertising?.....have you tried thr professional version trial?

Cheers

Sorry mate, i was typing as you were posting...........beware my friend!!!

"Little problems that go away of their own accord, frequently return, having grown in stature in their absence"

alright, even though problem is solved, just to make sure that no one ever has this problem read this:

Outpost firewall has a feature under Opitions->Plug-Ins->Adds->HTML Strings where you can add the name of an add or the URL of the sites that you dont want to allow (in this case it would have been "8ad.com"). Then Outpost searches the page before it is loaded and removes all of the adds that match the string of letter that you entered in the HTML strings section to be blocked. I have been using Outpost for a while now and i think that it is a very good firewall (considering that it is free). Also:

My first thought is that if you are using the "free" version, it is probably supported by advertising?
    There are no lame banner adds on Outpost or pop ups that come along with it.

Anyways i hope this post clears things up, PM me if you have more questions about Outpost Firewall!
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Had me worried there for a moment. Cos I know quite a few ppl using Outpost cos its free and if this is a problem then its quite worrying that a firewall can result in this. But luckily its not the case.

But what i dont understand is why is IE5 causing this. Or is IE6 helping by blocking it instead.

Any ideas

But what i dont understand is why is IE5 causing this. Or is IE6 helping by blocking it instead.
    IE5 doesnt come along with a built in pop-up blocker, so there is no way to stop pop-ups (unless you clear your cookies folder or whatever and you download a pop-up blocker program). I dont know if IE6 has a built in pop-up blocker. Does anyone know? Sorry, i switched to Mozilla a while back and i have never seen a pop-up since

EDIT: Wow! I just found an old feature of antionline (new to me) that allows me to see who is looking at what. Tedob1 you were look at this thread at about 7:11 pm Pacfic time. Is this accurate, or is this feature of antionline.com broken? Anyways, it would be really cool if you could see who is doing what on antionline.com (sorry for going a little off topic on the edit, but i think this is amazing )
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

I know that IE5 doesnt come with a pop up blocker but what i dont understand is why IE6 seemed to have removed the pop up when IE6 also doesnt come with a pop up blocker to my knowledge.

Also I have checked with some other users of outpost and its confirmed that its not the cause of the pop ups from 8ad.com