"OutPost" firewall - flawed ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "OutPost" firewall - flawed ?

*fart*

My best advise is ....troubleshoot the damn issue before calling a product bad. Not to mention advising people to switch to a pile of sh*t product like ZA.

Yes, I'm back when school doesn't interfere....

Como esta Usted? muy bien, gracias.

hahaha. school sucks.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

It must be IE5.....

I blew away the Win 2K and reloaded (including Service Pack 1 & latest msblast patch) Loaded OutPost (including the pop-up stopper) and

Same thing ! Pop-ups show immediately.

Upgraded to IE6 sp1.....NO Pop-ups.

But SP4 is already out. Just out of curiosity, why r u still using sp1.

On the IE5 upgrading to IE6 sp1 solving the pop up problem. Does anyone have any idea why this is so. A fresh installatio n of the OS even with IE5 shouldnt have any pop ups if u have a pop up blocker. And IE6 suddenly solving the pop up problem seems rather weird to me. I just wanna find out why.

This is killing me, I just gotta know why. I tried duplicating the same situation and the problem doesnt occur with Outpost installed. Any one got any ideas why this is happening with him?

If I may suggest to our memebers and dcongram I am currently using Visnetic Firewall on my operating systems. Now its now free however you have a 30 day trial. I have found it be a on hands filter packet firewall and it has done a excellent job. I would appreciate feedback from our members on Visnetic if anyone has used it. Here is their web site if you decided to try it out. Everyone have a great week.
    http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic_firewall/

r8devil....was trying to do this quickly......and my Win 2K CD is SP1.
    I just didn't bother loading SP4 for this 'test.

If this puter was to become a production machine, or workstation; I will load SP4

This post piqued my interest as i'm a fan of outpost. So i did a little bit of research. The 8ad website has an uninstall tool hidden way down at the bottom of their website for "winshow". Winshow is the main parasite used by them and 00hq. Uninstall programs for spyware by the companies that put them there get on my nerves (i always think they shouldn't have put it there in the first place) and i'm paranoid about what they might actually do. I mean, these are disreputable organisations to begin with as far as i'm concerned.
    Anyway, to manually remove, do the following:

"Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories), and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u "..\winshow.dll"
    Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the files winshow.dll, winshow.cfg and dict.dat from the Windows folder."

<removal procedures creditted to the doxdesk website>

HTH

Hi,

sorry for the negative post, but I did as I said and could not replicate the problem.......I will try again tomorrow on an old PI/133 with IE 5.5 (or 5.1?)..........this is an odd one?....it worked just fine for me...........perhaps some scumware got onto your system?

Cheers

BobMcFee......
    winshow.dll & winshow.cfg are on the system !! Damn - I thought Ad-Aware & X-Clean would have found them. I noticed them on another computer some time ago, and removed them.
    Guess I didn't look over the Win 2K box very carefully.

Thanks dood !!

"Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories), and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u "..\winshow.dll"
    Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the files winshow.dll, winshow.cfg and dict.dat from the Windows folder."
    I have the same problem. I was able to remove the winshow files but after rebooting my system SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Hijackthis and CWSshredder all find 3 edited registry keys. My IE startpage is set to searchv.com

Any suggestions?

I'm running win 200o and IE 6

Hi sheik.

Gotta run them all in safe mode these days..........the scumbags are getting a lot smarter.

When that fails you need to look at your startup script files............can't remember what they are on W2K, but look at them all win.ini etc. EVEN the ones not supposed to be normally used by the OS.

Its sort of "reverse social engineering" or "hide in plain view"..........simple, but not where you normally look?

Hope this helps

Cheers