Thread: What is...

Post What is...

I'm gonna feel retarded for asking this, but what does, CLOSE_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, and the other thingy that governs what the IP's are, can someone please re-explain what these mean again.
    thanks

You will see this when say you have had a TCP session open like your browser for example
    which uses TCP/port 80 and you had just closed or ended the session..It is just saying that a TCP session that was open is now ending,,,

Nothing to worry about

cheers

When a socket is in the CLOSE_WAIT state, it means the local application on your machine has not yet closed the connection after being notified that the application on the remote host has closed it's connection.

ESTABLISHED means you have a open active connection

I could'nt remember the exact definition of TIME_WAIT, but I found it for you:

TIME_WAIT state is a state that all the TCP connections enter into when the connection has been closed. The length of time for this state is 240 seconds, which is to allow for any duplicate segments still in the network from the previous connection to expire.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

thanks guys, your a big help