Network BootDisk help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network BootDisk help

Network BootDisk help

the past few days I'v been making a boot disk system that starts up the network services and is eventualy going to use Ghost to multicast to alot of PC's without user interaction.
    I already have the network part up and running on the floppy, problem is, I'v run out of space >.< so....I know there is a way of doubeling the space on a floppy in return for a slower read and write speed, I need some help on how to do this. Hopefully I'll be able to fit ghost and the network loader on one floppy.

Thanks in advance.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Just Another Geek
    Take alook at the Win98 recovery disk. What it basicly does is create a RAM disk and unzips a file from the floppydisk to this RAM disk. This way you might be able to squeeze a few more files on it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

>.< already does this, what I'm thinking is Disk compression.
    It sucks but I need the space.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../floppies.html
    /usr/sbin/fdformat /dev/fd0.????
    same with linux i would expect? the example i saw was forcing 1720 instead of 1440 risky though.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

they only have windows at work >.<

hmmm...what would be good is getting it to be a 2.88 disk =\

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Noia
    they only have windows at work >.<

hmmm...what would be good is getting it to be a 2.88 disk =\
    You'll need special disks and diskdrives for this. Not all PCs have a 2.88 floppydrive.
    Oliver's Law:

Bleh, I know...I just need extra space, and I think maybe disk-compression may give it, but I'm not sure.

Just Another Geek
    Isn't something like Stacker(tm) build into DOS 6.22? It's been awhile but I can remember MS being sued by the guys that made Stacker(tm).
    Oliver's Law:

AO French Antique News Whore
    Might not the answer you're looking for why are you not using a second floopy? I realy easy to make a Echo that ask for a the 2e floopy and a wait command for the user to insert the second floopy.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

try zip disk...or maybe a CD....would that work?