Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote And Local Access Explained

Well what OS are you running. Because you can run Nessus from your linux box. It checks for lots of vulnerabilities and will probably let you know if your server has any vulnerabilities. But yes as long as your just regular connecting to it then it is considered remote access. But you can run the vulnerability scanners from your own computer and they should be able to find them.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

thanks

You can normally log in to any port on your computer and simulate remote access by using your IP, or the IP 127.0.0.1 which is just a loop back to your machine. You'll find this is really helpful when you want to test network security tools such as nessus, other port scanners, sniffers etc. without targeting someone else's machine who may not appreciate you security auditing attemps none to much.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

nice work well said the only fault is that he didnt post it on the tutorial section maybe give him another chance let him know where he should paste that tutorial the next time he does that then you can give him an neg points LOL

Who were you referring to ?
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Somewhat Confused Question

Depending on the situation access to your ports can be local or remote. Usually local machines use loopback when connection to ports on the local machine. People think of remote connections as being a seperate location but that not entirely true. Heres a MySQL example:

my ip for this example: 192.168.0.1

If I wish to connect to mysql on my local machine I can connect from the command line
    % mysql
    this will be a local connection using loopback to port 3306

now I could also specify the host I wish to connect to
    %mysql -h 192.168.0.1
    this is now an external connection, which even though on the local machine it is not going through the loopback

If you want to test your FTP as a remote attacker make sure you specify the full ip, so not to use the loopback.