Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STOP those F***ing pop ups that use WIN2K Alerter Service!

That is a basic way to get rid of the "net send" messages.

Another way would be to implement a firewall or use your router's built in firewall to block these at your gateway.

The ports you would want to block in this instance would be...

The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445; and an ephemeral (that is, short-lived) port number greater than 1024.
    Now for the really annoying popups... from web pages and the like.

Use a popup blocker or if you are using m$ IE, use the google.com toolbar (version 2 has a popup blocker included free of charge and tons of other useful functions.)

There are many other popup blockers out there. Some are free (that do the basics of stopping popups and popunders.)

Here is one I've tried and like

http://www.panicware.com/popupstoppercompare.html

I have been using the google.com toolbar lately though, and that is doing the job just fine.

For blocking ads within the webpages, I use the built in feature that Norton Internet Security has. It works great. I really don't like banner ads. If I want to buy something, I'll ask for some opinions or find out on my own what I should buy. Banner ads are really annoying to me.

If you don't want to go and purchase a banner ad blocker... you can trick it.

Find the address of the ad server. Normally, just right click on it and copy shortcut. Then paste it to notepad. Edit it to get just the server address....

example of a banner ad I just pulled off of cnn.com

http://ar.atwola.com/link/93103287/html?badsc=B0n8eALPilhfPeCLv2gP6pBaBG9eWa7QhYzlvI-D3rkGeEaql8MxOXT42JIJZdCkGbbq7VyjS2bWxW8y-z8I7nthPI41tcrRbTb0vfkioRYqzc_Y-YDr71tDcicMIkrMxlzNWnRzORPjBssT3KDfhvNeoZ1rlpREaPXI-unb8jwHQL2z97NSpkuncH0c31zXlmBAic9fLALns$

pull out the junk and link it to localhost via your "hosts" file (9x it is located in %systemroot% NT or like... %systemroot$\system32\drivers\etc *nix, it is normally in /etc/ )

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

open a command prompt and enter this(ntbased... for 9x, it would just be c:\%systemroot%), or edit it manually
    echo 127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com >> c:\%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Now anything that a site tries to pull from ar.atwola.com will pull from your local machine and when it can't find it... it'll show a blank page, or mini 404 error.

This can be a real pain... as there are tons of ad servers out there... but if you search for it you can find hosts files that people have already compiled. I know people have posted them here on AO already, so use one or two of those and start adding your own entries. You can combine other hosts files too...

Now... the flash ads are a bit more of a pain...

<center> <b class=ads>Advertisement[/b]

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://66.216.104.232:80/servlet/ajrotator/79/0/viewJScript?pool=52&type=42"></script> </center>

I pulled out the advertisement source from "TheOnion"'s website. Here we have to do a bit more... like find out exactly which server it is coming from. We see that it is 66.216.104.232 which wel'll assume that it is their adserver. Looking at their source, it looks like all their ads are on one server. Use samspade.org to find out more info about this server...

Viola.. we have the machines dns address...

manuel.theonion.com

now link it to your hosts file as a localhost ...

127.0.0.1 manuel.theonion.com

pull up a command prompt and enter... or just manually edit it... (only for ntbased...)

echo 127.0.0.1 manuel.theonion.com >> c:\%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

No more flash ads from the onion... Meaning... faster page loads cause you don't have to DL those crappy flash ads.

There are plenty more little tricks... these are just a couple and some are a pain in the a$$ unless you really keep up with it.

I know this tutorial was just supposed to be to stop messanger based popups... but this info is also good.

Oh, keeping your spyware down will also help reduce your adcount/popup count....

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Another thing you may want to do is remove all spyware/adware.

adaware
    spybot search and destroy
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Steve Gibson wrote a small tool called "Shoot the Messenger" to do it for those of you who are *really* lazy

Haha.

You forgot to mention Proxomitron btw, one of the best Pop up blockers and Web filters ever made, also, Spybot search and destroy, not only being an amazing Anti-spyware program, also comes with a compleete Host file, and installs it for you, aswell as protect it agains abuse.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Oh yeah... DOH! How could I forget those?

Just one of them weeks...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Start-->Run...->"services.msc" [Enter w/o the quotes] 2 get 2 Services in XP

Great info here....I was just getting tired of all the adds I was getting.......I was getting ready to ask this question myself.......Thanks....AO is the bomb...
    Learning more about myself and my capabilities everyday. Im getting faster and stronger and Im learning more about my opponents. Hope you\'re ready for the showdown. [blur]L0ST BOY[/blur]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Ad-aware is definitely something I like to use. Bought the full version which comes with the popup blocker as well as the ad-watch, which monitors all installations, registry changes, etc...

Very worth buying and you can look at it here.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.