dcsimg

Thread: HD's and WINNT

HD's and WINNT

My problems has a slightly long story. I dropped my HD (shut up), and it said when i booted it that it had a bad allocation table. so i formated and installed WINNT because it was the only OS CD i could find because I'm in the process of moving into a new house. So WINNT it is (for now). I havent used it extensively so i thought i would get some experience. I have two HD's and my 80GB one that i didn't drop has all my important stuff on it. It has a FAT32 partition which was done with WINXP and now WINNT will not recognize the file system. Any programs or methods of getting around that? Thanks in advance.
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, I'm not sure if WINNT can handle fat.. If it can, then your gunna need to install winnt in fat, that being done in the system should allow you to access the drive. I think..

(its getting late and I'm tired as hell)

xmad

I agree with Xmadness. Although its been a while since have set up an NT machine, it gives you the choise to install as fat in the beginning of the installer.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

If I'm corect NT uses a NTFS file system. So if you HD has a Fat32 system on it NT will not recognize the partition.

edit:

Posted to late I guess.
    =

Krimlin,
    You can install fat32 drivers for NT that will allow it to read FAt32 partitions,,,
    Let me dig up utilities Ive used in past,,been a while...

cheers

check here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/fat32.shtml - "FAT32 is a FAT32 file system driver for Windows NT 4.0. Once installed, any FAT32 drives present on your system will be fully accessible as native Windows NT volumes. "

you should be able to get/load this driver and access the info... good luck.

... cheyana
    Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. —Jennifer Unlimited

PS
    NT4.0 uses FAT16 and NTFS only
    and the FAT32 driver does not convert the NT partition to FAT32, just allows it
    to view FAT32 partitions...( I think the one I used only allowed me to read only..)

There you go cheyana,

was on tip of my tongue,,,thats the tool I used from sysinternals...
    Good going..

Cheers :0

Sorry, out of the box NT will not read FAT 32.
    but try here http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/fat32.shtml

there is a download here that will do the trick.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

I think thats already been coverd breakology
    =

heh, cheyana pops up a lot of different stuff on google. wow. thanks alot for the help. Just proves anything is possible with computers. It's just usually difficult and confusing. Look out Hard Drives here i come.
    No place like 127.0.0.1