Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About e-mail tracking

About e-mail tracking

Hi! Some where in this site i read about tracing ip of e-mail sender through header in thier e-mail address. Well i got such a program naming e-mail tracker pro from visualware.com. Well all i want to know this method will tell us the true ip of other person or give us the ip of site server from which he is sending the mail, forexample i've ac account in hotmail and when someone will try to find my ip, what would he get? my ip or hotmail's server ip? Hope for some good response. till alvida

Re: About e-mail tracking

first of all be clear about true IP???

Originally posted here by naughty_prince
    forexample i've ac account in hotmail and when someone will try to find my ip, what would he get? my ip or hotmail's server ip?
    well definatialy ur IP if u are not using any proxy. If u are using one such proxy...then the IP will be of the proxy server. The header contains the info from where did the mail originated...ie ur IP.....and all the servers it passed through before being recieved ultimately by the end user.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

It depends on how a person sent the email... They can use remailers to hide their tracks... or simply finding an open relay... or using a proxy... or many other ways...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

He will just Say that i want a pair of scissor

Well i have got one question
    Can we back trace the chain from where the emails actually
    originated...
    Is there anybody who knows
    whom do i LOVE
    No nobody knows that
    Its C C Computer...

You may want to take a look at the link I posted above... and then answer your own question.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

if the person dint used a proxy server .. otherwise u stand to get to a "dangling pointer"
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

The only way to get the IP of a hotmail user is via a subpoena. Their pc's ip address is not in the email message.

Originally posted here by j3r
    The only way to get the IP of a hotmail user is via a subpoena. Their pc's ip address is not in the email message.
    Well so u mean that one can't trace my ip using my hotmail e-mail address. RIght? But in the fuctioning of email tracker (a software by visualware) they claimed that it could tell you the pc's ip of sender. Now who is right here?

If someone uses remailers as phishphreek stated it would be real hard to track.
    The more remailers the email travels threw the harder to track. They strip your headers and replace them.
    People use programs such as:

potato:
    A freeware DOS software package which operates well in all versions of Windows. This remailer utility provides for the preparation of anonymous and nym messages, including MIME mail, attachments, and automatic PGP signing and encryption. Potato also includes the Nym Editor, which allows for sophisticated nym account configurations, including multiple reply blocks.

jack b.nymble:
    quicksilver:

using remailers such as melontraffikers,cyberpunks,freedom.gmsociety...to name a few.
    and Creating a nym account, pgp key, using a long chain of remailers, your damn near "anon".

a plus to these services is,if you post messages in newsgroups you can have a unique email address(nym account), and stay safe from weirdo`s right clicking your message and seeing all the juicy details of your headers

Completely wrong.

Well so u mean that one can't trace my ip using my hotmail e-mail address. RIght?
    Completely wrong.

from the3ntropy here
    X-Originating-IP: 366.366.366.366
    Yes they do get your IP, hotmail is not anonymous.
    Don't send messages to someone if you don't want them to know who you are. If you want to hide your identity then you are doing so for a malicious purpose.