Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About e-mail tracking

I second The3ntropy....

cheers

Originally posted here by The3ntropy

If you want to hide your identity then you are doing so for a malicious purpose.

Why assume that someone wanting to hide the origination of their email is for malicious purposes?
    That is narrow minded thinking.

bongpilot > If so, then give me one expample situation in which you would wish for someone that you are sending an e-mail message to, to not have your IP address. Even one, one legitimate reason, and then I will gladly describe the process of how to use an anonymous proxy and open re-mailers to hide your identity.

bongpilot > If so, then give me one expample situation in which you would wish for someone that you are sending an e-mail message to, to not have your IP address. Even one, one legitimate reason, and then I will gladly describe the process of how to use an anonymous proxy and open re-mailers to hide your identity.
    What if you need to email someone who has explicit computer/hacking knowledge and you don't want them toying around with your true ip? They may be your "friend" but you never know.

Just a thought.

Well look at me, aren't I a stupid git? Yeah, hotmail handily provides your ip address (dicks).

Bongpilot is quite correct about the remailers. With a little luck, they're even subpoena-proof.

bongpilot > If so, then give me one expample situation in which you would wish for someone that you are sending an e-mail message to, to not have your IP address. Even one, one legitimate reason, and then I will gladly describe the process of how to use an anonymous proxy and open re-mailers to hide your identity

The3ntropy,

example #1. I like to be anonymous on the internet. I set up a nym account because i like to participate in newsgroups. It allows me to have a very unique address. In these newsgroups there are some shady people whom i don`t want to broadcast all my info. to a the right click of a mouse. I am smarter than that.
    As to your wanting to teach me the finer points of proxies and remailers. thanks but i`ve read document after tutorial after document about both. and am comfortable with my choice to be anonymous with my email.
    I relize nothing is Truly anonymous, if ya really want to track an email threw a remailer. your going to have to have some good resourses and alot of time to trace these hops that the email took threw it`s journey. The average joe will not know how to do this.
    This more than likely includes you.

http://quicksilver.skuz.net/ lots of info here on this topic.

If you are that worried about e-mail'ing someone who would maliciously use your IP address, you should not e-mail him or her in the first place. You would not walk down a dark alley late at night and start talking to someone standing in the shadows; don't do it on ther internet. Common sense is not that scarce; although it sometimes seems to be.

Dude i may be overstepping my boundries here being a "newb" and all. But i don`t agree with your "be afraid who ya talk to " ideas.
    privacy is a must with me. I don`t have to worry about whom i exchange emails with because i take precautions and use good judgment"common sense".I`m not going to continue to debate that with you.
    The internet is a cool place, but there are all types of people with different motives.
    I for one take no chances with my privacy. hell, you could get mad at me for disagreeing with you and look for ways to get my ip...never know.right?