Blacklisted
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacklisted

Angry Blacklisted

It would appear that my company has ended up on a blacklist. The following is being returned via an e-mail auto-responder:

Response: 553 5.3.0 Your IP is blacklisted at http://relays.osirusoft.com and your message has been rejected.
    Now I have tried to reach this site and I keep getting "The page cannot be displayed".

Does anyone here have any knowledge of relays.osirusoft.com? If we have been blacklisted, I suspect it is because of all the virus e-mails flying around the net these days. Has anyone ever been blacklisted? How hard is it to get removed from these lists?

Thanks

Cheers:
    DjM

a simple whois on relays.osirusoft.com (168.103.238.114) shows

168.103.0.0 - 168.103.255.255
    U S WEST Communications Services
    600 Stinson Blvd NE
    Minneapolis, MN, 55413
    US
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U S WEST ISOps
    abuse@uswest.net
    +1-612-664-4689

after having their contact no i think u can reach then directly...
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

your isp doesn't like it that you are running a relayable mailserver.
    osirusoft is offering such a service to isps

btw. the page seems to be down.

Originally posted here by stanger
    your isp doesn't like it that you are running a relayable mailserver.
    osirusoft is offering such a service to isps
    stanger:
    That would be true if we did have an open relay, we don't.

NullDevice:
    Thanks for the whois info, but I was looking for a little more.

Can anyone else reach this site? Has anyone here ever had any dealing with relays.osirusoft.com? (or any other blacklister for that matter)

Cheers:
    DjM

are you sure you don't have an open relay? I'm not questioning your abilities, but maybe someone set up a relay on your network that you don't know about? how controlled is your network?

anyway, I have known a few sites that have been blacklisted and depending on the group that blackholed you it can be anywhere from a simple email to the admin explaining that you aren't an open relay to downright impossible to be removed.

The folks over at www.somethingawful.com got put on a blacklist because of a spammer that happened to be in the same IP block as them. The whole block was blacklisted and now SA has been perma-listed because they argued with the admins that they should not have been blacklisted in the first place.

anyway, drop 'em a line or call them if they aren't even receiving your emails any more. good luck, and let us know what happens.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Can anyone else reach this site? Has anyone here ever had any dealing with relays.osirusoft.com? (or any outhe blacklister for that matter)
    nope, it appears to be down.. google's cache still has it.
    http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Relays.osirusoft.com is first and foremost, an automated system designed to protect its users from open relay and Direct-to-MX UCE. In essence, an open relay server allows anyone from anywhere to send mail through your smtp server, which accounts for a large majority of UCE. (Unsolicited Commercial Email, or spam). This system in no way is intended to restrict the normal flow of mail, but rather to protect users on the sites that voluntarily use this site's server from irresponsible, unethical, or inexperienced system administrators. This site is militantly non-commercial and has no subscribers except for Osirusoft. There are two forms of automated email handlers. relays@relays.osirusoft.com and retest@relays.osirusoft.com. If your system is listed, email retest using the server you want tested. By emailing retest, your server will be retested automatically, by reading the received: from lines in your message. Unless there is an obvious mistake on the part of a remote Rbcheck user, no test shall be expedited. More often than not, email to anyone other than the above 2 addresses will be deleted if it relates to an open relay issue.
    other blacklist sites..
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...acklists/?il=1

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the spammers nowadays (as well as worms) use spoofed mail headers. I can't tell you how many complaints we get about spam mail and open relays, only to have to reply to the person to look at the headers closer to see that they were really spoofed. If you are sure you don't have any open relays, then that may have been what happened.

I also released a tool in Addicts forum that will scan for open relays (and a couple of other common misconfigurations), it is a fairly simple perl script. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Well the guy that runs this blacklist appears to be a real piece of work. I have dug up this info.

This site relays.osirusoft.com appears to have disappeared. You can search the Internet and find all kinds of people who have had problems with this guy. He's even blacklisted unicode.org. There is no way to reach him as he also rejects emails from those he's blacklisted. We are going to go ahead and sue this guy, since he is providing a service that is not accurate nor correct and is causeing headaches and serious problems for many legitimate email servers. Moderators of these databases should be accountable for the information they contain and have the ability to prove that the ip's in their database are actually spammers. They should also provide a legitimate means of contact and respond to requests from those they have blacklisted, justifying why they have blacklisted them, and what can be done to be removed from this list. Any information on how this person Joe Jarod has affected other peoples business please provide it to me at xxxx@xx.xx and we will forward it to our attorneys as we build the case. Hopefully we will end up with legal recourse which forces these list holders to be accountable for the information they maintain.
    And another:

It seems that one individual has the unchecked power to decide which mail
    individuals may or may not receive. It should be noted that this individual
    is not accountable to anyone, has no checks and balances and, seemingly, has
    no procedure in place to assure due process or even fairness.
    And yet another happy customer:

Most do not know that relays.osirusoft.com includes a bunch of sundry crap, including
    SPEWS and other "confirmed" sources of SPAM. There's absolutely no accountability to that list, and it should therefore be avoided entirely.
    We are now going to contact the company that is using this jerks blacklist and strongly recommend that, if they chose to use a blacklist to manage spam, they may want to pick a more reliable one.

Cheers:
    DjM

These blacklists suck immensely.

The problem is that if a couple of people report a genuine piece of opt-in, marketing email which they have signed up for as spam (which it is not) as spam, the blacklist admin usually just adds your IP to the blacklist without actually verifying that the messages are spam.

Therefore anyone who sends newsletters or other marketing bits & pieces is liable to end up on one sooner or later, regardless of how correct their policy is.

Complain to the admin that you have been erroneously blacklisted and perhaps you can persuade them to stop using that blacklist.

Slarty

oh boy, so it's related to SPEWS huh. That's the list that SomethingAwful.com is going through all their headaches with. I went and trolled their list a bit and they certainly do seem to be a bunch of nazi admins or BOFHs and neither is meant in a good way.

if you are interested in reading about the SomethingAwful vs SPEWS.org debacle you can check it out here

good luck on your crusade to be removed from their list.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.