Thread: firewalls

Question firewalls

what is the best firewall 2 use thats downloadable?

Theres no best, search this site, youll find reviews for just about every firewall.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Falcon, welcome to AO. Being you're only 2 posts deep, I feel the obligation of letting you know about the Search Forum feature. There are a bunch of excellent threads out there in regards to which Firewalls are better suited for your PC. If you're lazy like me, just look on the bottom of the screen for similar threads. People here are quite picky about redundant threads (even though sometimes I don't mind because a redundant thread always invites new perspective from people who haven't partaken in the older threads). ok, I'm rambling.
    anyways, good luck Falcon.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

As far as I know you have two choices.

Sygate Personal Firewall. http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_pro.htm

Zone Alarm Firewall. http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...jsp?lid=nav_za

The best firewall is the one you like. I may like zone alarm but you may like sygate therefor to you sygate is the best.

Theres probably more free firewalls but thats the only two I could think of at the time.
    =

I've tried many of the free one's availible, and Outpost is my pick. You can get it at www.agnitum.com

Good luck..

Re: firewalls

Originally posted here by falcon1025
    what is the best firewall 2 use thats downloadable?
    IPCop Rules. If you have an extra PC and a couple nics, it works great. Excellent reports, Intrusion Detection, IPTables firewall, Squid proxy... features galore.

Url

I like zone alarm best but it seems to pick all the background noise that sygate never did. However I turn off the notification and trust the logs. I would rather have the background noise and all the pings logged everyday and have to go through them. It will remind me that there is a lot of active pinging going on out there.

I would go with the Zone Alarm group - used it for several years and is great as long as you turn off notifaction as suggested by ame1usn

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

outpost and zone alarm are both good and
    I rate them both 4 out of five stars both have
    diffrent features like zone alarm you can track
    a ip to see where its harassing you from but not
    likely to be any good nor is it the direct place
    that the prik is at .But to get my five star rate
    your going to have to spend some money on
    a router at least $75.00 so start with these

1.windows security updates
    2.free firewall get updates
    3.router
    watch what you allow
    Spread Firefox.

Personally, I always recommend Tiny Personal Firewall.

I have a version 2 ed. that's free. Current version is about 5.x which is chargeable.

If you decide you'd like to try v2 for free then give me a shout and I'll post it up for you.
    V2 will only work on Win95 98 ME NT 4.x 2000.
    V5 2000 SP3+ (Pro, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter), XP,Win2003 Server, Advanced Server, Web Edition.