Pinging

Thread: Pinging

Pinging

How do you know if you are getting pinged from someone and how do you stop it?

lol.

We'll you can't really tell unless you have some type OF IDS set up to monitor for pings.

Theres also no way to stop a ping I think other than dropping ICMP packets at the router, or firewall.
    =

Computer Forensics
    how to detect pings ?

packet sniffers filtered for icmp (tcpdump, windump, ethereal etc etc)
    firewall or router logs
    IDS

If you run windows(2k/xp) you can set up ipsec filters in the local security policy to block all icmp traffic.
    *nix you can set it in /etc/sysctl.conf or ipchains/tables.

icmp is a trivial packet and really shouldn't be your main concern. Pinging is a rudimentary function of networking, I'd be more concerned with actual port scans and connection attempts.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    Well the only thing that I can give you on this one.

Is install a firewall, I am not sure about all Firewalls but I know there are some that don't allow ping requests, or atleast ask you if you want to be Pinged by that Ip address.

Now as for getting it doesn't really matter I mean ping gives out information, But like Cheyenne said Portscanning is worst. If you have a problem with then we have something big, because most people that, will Scan your Machine are scanning it because they want access to it.

No offense it kinda comes off like you just learn what Ping was. I would recommend that you read about ICMP then.

The RFC is 792, amazing the things we remember.

Anything else ask.

BTW so you know, I don's know if you know this or but Ping only tells if your computer is up. Nothing more.

Jizz

but doesn't pinging a computer flood a connnection?

but doesn't pinging a computer flood a connnection?
    Only when you ping a system to the point where it can no longer function. This can be very difficult on some systems and very easy on others. That's where security comes in. I believe you are referring to Denial of Service attacks. These types of attacks are ment to crash a system operating on the internet by sending it so many requests that the system just gives up or 'crashes.'

A good analogy would be a mailbox sort of...

Think of the letters as packets of data and the mailbox as the computer, the mailbox can only hold so many letters before it explodes.

Hope this helps a bit...

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

As far a pingin knocking you off line, it is highly impossible unless you have a 56K connection.

If your on a High Speed Internet Computer and you continously ping a 56K computer with large packets then it might be enough to knock it off line. But if you do it to a computer with a high Speed connection, its unlikely that that will happen.

Refer to The Radicals thread for little more detailed explanation.
    =

yea, radical hit the spot. so if a user has high speed connection (like me ) it's fine.

Thanks

Even though you may have a high-speed connection that does not mean that you are 'entirely' safe. Heh, if an attacker really wanted to crash your computer what he would have to then do is get ahold of a bunch of other computers and compromise them.

This is called the zombie technique...

Simply because the computers that the attacker already has or 'ownz' can be used by the attacker to conduct several DoS attacks on one machine using several other machines that the attacker currently has control of.

I know what you mean though, the possibility of this happening to the average PC user are very slim. Still, I thought that it was worth mentioning for educational purposes.
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

The best way to prevent yourself from being pinged would be to install a firewall and drop all ICMP packets. To detect it you will need an IDS with it set to detect ICMP. Some firewalls have both of these facilities together in the same package.

As pinging killing off your connection, there has to be alot happening to kill a broadband connection. Regular 56k might be able to be killed off easier but anyway most attackers would not bother for home uses. It doesnt serve any purpose for them except maybe to prove a theory. But it would be too much work for something so insignificant. Unless you host soemthing from your home.