Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product Activation on NAV2004

Post Product Activation on NAV2004

It seems that Symantec intend using PA on its Norton Av 2004..

News from ZDnet
    Norton Antivirus 2004, which Symantec announced Monday for release next month, will use product activation, an increasingly common technique to tie a copy of an application to a particular PC. Symantec plans to add activation to the rest of its consumer software line over the next year.
    Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

...It stores license information on the PC's hard drive and allows for up to five activations for the same product key.

That accounts for users who make frequent upgrades or other changes to their PC," Smith said. "We've designed the solution to be flexible. ...
    The main reason I dont use Windows XP is that I frequently change hardware in my machine and I frequently reinstall my OS/Software.
    I don't want to contact MS everytime I reinstall. I hope Symantec keeps this in mind as I am pretty fond of my norton av.

Symantec following in Microsoft's footsteps is not a real good idea because in a few days the product activation will be cracked ( I don't support the cracking of any program unless it is from Sco Muhahahaha) Just like windows xp was. they should know by now that if anything has encryption or a product activation on it someone will look at it as a challenge and crack it

Regal Making Handler

I think they no that it will be cracked. They just want to stop peaple installing it on all their friends pc's. Most peaple don't use cracks. But alot of peaple would make a copy for a friend or install for them.

This just makes it that little bit harder to rip Symantic off.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Smith said Symantec's implementation of product activation is similar to Microsoft's and does not use Macrovision technology. Symantec's system generates a unique alphanumeric code to identify a PC configuration and ties it to the product key for a particular piece of software. It stores license information on the PC's hard drive and allows for up to five activations for the same product key.
    Well the license info is on the hard drive so I bet it will be cracked sometime...

I wonder if they will be doing this with their corporate versions also? It will be hell on our test lab if this is true.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It stores license information on the PC's hard drive and allows for up to five activations for the same product key.
    Does that mean that I can still install it on all of my workstations at home? Or... I'm allowed to format and reload my machine a total of 5 times? If it is the latter... a simple backup/restore should fix that problem...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

Does that mean that I can still install it on all of my workstations at home? Or... I'm allowed to format and reload my machine a total of 5 times? If it is the latter... a simple backup/restore should fix that problem...
    It could also mean 5 hardware changes...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Regal Making Handler
    I would asume that if you want to install on multiple machines you would have to bye a licence for each machine as you do with all microsoft software.

Untill now if you brought NAV, you could just about install it on **** loads of machines.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Damn... I was afraid of that. I'm using NIS/AV 2002 and got a 1 year suscriptioin.

After the one year mark... I was not able to uninstall it and reinstall it... I had to backup everything (not a big deal), format and reload my box. I then had another year... guess I'll just have to stick with this technique for now until I become wealthy like most of you security gurus...

I normally try to format and reinstall every 6months or so... as my personal machine becomes so bloated with everything that I try out and it really affects the performance on the box...