Thread: RH9 and Nessus (or How Do I Install RPM's??)

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

RH9 and Nessus (or How Do I Install RPM's??)

I am trying to install Nessus on RH9. I downloaded it and went to a terminal session and typed "sh nessus-installer.sh" and received an error message stating that I did not have uudecode and that I should install the sharutils RPM.

I managed to download it, but can't seem to install it. I can't find any simple RPM management program available in RH9 (I am using KDE but I don't see anything under Gnome either). I used the File Manager and right-clicked the program and selected the option to install the package(s) and it starts to do something but doesn't complete the installation it seems.

So, I did a search and found an RPM management package and downloaded it. I right-clicked it in the File Manager and selected the option to install the package(s) and I was told that it is already installed.

Help??

I think the easiest way to install a RPM is from CLI.

Open a terminal window and browse to the correct directory. (where you have it downloaded).

Make sure you have permissions to install it, if not, then mod the permissions on the file.

syntax

$rpm -ivh packagename*.rpm

the flags:

-i = install
    -v = verify (I think* I don't have access to a box off hand... but pretty sure)
    -h = show hashes

if you want to see more data... you can use -ivvh to show you the complete install process rather than just the hashes. I prefer just seeing the hashes.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I would try apt as a package manager:

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=649

download & click on the rpm to install.

Once installed su & type

apt-get update to update the database info
    apt-get install synaptic to get the graphical package management tool

fire up synaptic from Start-System Settings-Synaptic

& you should be able to get hold of nessus.

You'll need server & client for a full install & it will require nmap

PM if you're still stuck

Steve

<edit>

If KDE doesn't give you synaptic in a menu - su & type synaptic

You won't be disappointed. I wasn't

</edit>
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This is very common folks.

Get disk 3 of RH9, go into the Redhat\RPMS directory and do an ls on shar*

You will see the sharutils-4.2.1-14 rpm. Install it like this:

rpm -i sharutils-4.2.1-14.rpm

Once you do that, you are clear for takeoff!!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

-v = verify (I think* I don't have access to a box off hand... but pretty sure)
    -v -- Verbose

anyhow i think CLI is the best when u have any trouble...also look for a switch which can dump debug info in case of any prob.....i dont have a mc right now to lemme have m hand on it...so cant say more abt it...
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

-v -- Verbose
    You are probably right... but for some reason I thought

-vv was verbose?

EDIT: Ok, just looked at the online man pages (what I should have done in the first place)...

http://linux.ctyme.com/man/man2861.htm

its -V that is verify...

-v is verbose
    -vv ugly debugging info

my bad...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    that would be *very* verbose

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, you could always do
    RPM -Uvh which will update it if it needs updating, or install it if it's not installed...

And by the way both -v and -vv are verbose, -vv is just more so, I guess, atleast that's what is it on nmap. :s

ore get the install script one from www.nessus.org

Works like a charm

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    ore get the install script one from www.nessus.org

Works like a charm
    Which "install script" are you talking about? I started with the latest version of Nessus from the Nessus.org site to begin with. The script doesn't work if you don't have uudecode and a gcc compiler already installed as I found out the hard way.

With the pointers from a few of you I managed to get sharutils and gcc installed and now the Nessus 2.0 is all good to go.

Thanks for the help.