Thread: Wierd binding issues

Arrow Wierd binding issues

I dont know how to classify this, but here it goes...

Several programs of mine seem to be "binded" to WordPerfect 2002 TryBeforeYouBuy. Exactly what happens is a bit puzzling:

For instance, I have the demo of eEye's Retina scanner. When I double click the icon, the MS installer for WordPerfect pops up, instructing me to insert the installation disk before I continue. After cancelling out of the many menus (all installation-related), I finally arive at the Retina splash screen, only to be confronted with ANOTHER installation attempt.

I hope Im making myself clear: I have to cancel out of the installation-dialog boxes in an effort to get to the program I meant to run. I can still run the program, just after I cancel out of all those pesky dialog boxes.

I'll attach the printscreen image tomorrow, Im not on my computer as of now.

This happens to several programs, and Im running Windows XP Home. I've tried deleting all registry entried reffering to WordPerfect, but that doesn't seem to quell the problem. I dont even have WordPerfect! LOL

Thanks
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Sounds like your file associations are screwed...

I assume that the "eEye's Retina scanner" icon doesn't directly launch a .exe file - is this correct?

If, for example, the shortcut launches a .bat, then try checking your file associations under explorer/view/file_types for .bat files - it's possible that the application type for the file extension is somehow wrong.

If you post up more detail, then I'll take a closer look.

Here's the screenshot of the problem I promised.

NOTE: That's what I get when running Retina, but remember, this is not the only program that reacts this way.

100th post
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

can you post up some more tech detail?

Some exact examples of progs that you are trying to launch would be good..

for example, if you say you are trying to run wordpad - what are the properties of the shortcut etc..... 'c:\anydir\wordpad.exe' etc, etc...

What is associated with that file type etc, etc..

I've seen this behavior where a program needs a word processing app to be initalised before it can run. The first time Outlook runs this occurs, since it uses word as an email editor by default. More than likely your default .doc or document editing program is linked to the word perfect try before you buy. Retina or whatnot checks to make sure the doc editor is fucntional and apparently word perfect isn't verifying this, so the installer runs to get word perfect 'ready' or whatnot. Check your file associations in windows explorer (tools, folder options, file types in xp) and see what extensions are mapped to word perfect.

Curious, do you use the word perfect program for doc editing and creation? And what OEM made this computer? I'm guessing the word perfect came with your computer already installed and to use it full blown you have to register and pay $99 or something.

Granted this is just a guess, but give us more data if none of this helps.