Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yahoo messenger log files help

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'll give it a bash in the morning if I have time Def..... thanks
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

No offense tigershark......but,you sound like a real dick!
    Don`t you have anything better to do?

Originally posted here by hillbillyh8ter
    No offense tigershark......but,you sound like a real dick!
    Don`t you have anything better to do?
    Now just how is Tiger being a dick? I believe he, like many others here, are hired to perform various functions related to securing a company. Doing investigations on policy breaches is just one of those functions. This looks very much like a breach of policy, so he is doing his job.

Cheers:
    DjM

Tigershark is perfectly within his job description to perform the duties that he has listed. I'm sure there is something in their security policy about how the end user should have no expectations of privacy while working on the companies network. It's also been stated that it is in the policy that they are not allowed to use IM software.

This user broke the rules, and Tigershark is doing his job (at least I assume it's a him).

Tigershark - I'll look in to the tools that we use here for breaking the "encryption" that the various IM software out there uses on their log files. I remember doing all this on a yahmess account a couple of years back.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

lol what was up that guys ass? dont worry about him tigershark

Apparently no one read the initial post well enough to know that tigershark isn't the one doing this but a fellow MIS person from a sister organization...he apparently is just trying to help out a fellow co-worker. And neither he nor his co-worker are being "dicks" for doing their job and enforcing company policy. If the policy states that you aren't supposed to install programs and you do it any way then you are going to get what you deserve.

wow, banned so soon...lol just 6 posts. What was his problem?
    \"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.\" (Sign hanging in Einstein\'s office at Princeton)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Well....... What can I say? Other than thank you for the overwhelming outflow of support and offers of additional help from most......

For Hillbilly: Yes, I can see why someone might think I am a dick and that's fine.... You see, I get paid quite well to be a dick when the company's policies that I wrote are violated. Allow me to expand.

Company policies are given in writing to each new employee. They are also periodically reminded of them in an email that details the acceptable use of company owned computers, laptops and handheld devices. Those policies include the following pertinent, (and not unreasonable), items:-

1. Thou shalt not install any software without the explicit permission of your MIS
    2. Thou shalt not expect _any_ privacy in any electronic communication using company property.
    3. Thou shalt not use personal webmail or IM software.
    4. Thou shalt not attempt to circumvent the security measures put in place by the MIS dept.

(For your edification: they do not actually contain the "Thou shalt's").

Now.... bearing in mind that this gal was caught just a month ago doing this but the MIS of her company didn't inform me then or I would have had sniffers on her box. Bear in mind the messenger was uninstalled and the gal reinstalled it. Bear in mind that the gal discovered, (as I did again yesterday), that my firewall does indeed block Yahoo IM so she had to change the settings to "I believe I am behind a firewall.... but want to circumvent it anyway".........

I can assure you Hillbilly that my supervisor, (the COO of my company), does not think I am a dick for my actions..... and to be quite honest I don't really care if she does..... She pays me to do this job and she gets her money's worth. As to the gal..... she has had more than fair warning but appears to be an immature little gal who thinks she is smarter than her co-workers. Hopefully, this experience will give her a new found respect for those around her in the workplace as she moves forward to her new career elsewhere. You might want to try learning from her experience too since your rection implies a similar level of maturity, but I do understand that one of the failings of the immature is that they _have_ to learn from their own experience not that of others...... Good luck.

Lv4: Tiger Shark is indeed, all man..... Thanks for looking for the encryption stuff. I haven't spoken to the MIS in question since yesterday but I left her a voicemail pointing out that the cute names under profiles are the screen names and the names of the final folder is who she was talking to and that while I can't see the content the cute names are not something her company would appreciate her doing business for them under.

Thanks again everyone........ This is what AO is about.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I would create some user right policy restrictions for other users who should not be able to, say, install or reinstall programs....etc. This will help avoid alot of hassle in the future.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey