RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant Only For Original Vehicle Owner!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant Only For Original Vehicle Owner!!!!

RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant Only For Original Vehicle Owner!!!!

Ok I really really hope this is some kind of a joke. But I was going throught the radio section on about.com when I found this article.

The Recording Industry Association of America announced today it would be expanding its crackdown on copyright infringement by suing family members, hitchhikers and carpoolers.

Lawyers for the RIAA maintain that the radio in each car was never meant to be listened to by anyone else except the original owner of the vehicle.

Therefore, any additional passengers who listen to music on the radio in another individual's car are doing so illegally and without the express permission of the copyright holders of the respective songs that are broadcast.

RIAA attorneys were preparing to go to Federal District courts across the country to have subpoenas issued to every car maker in America in the hopes of forcing them to disclose the names and addresses of all purchasers from the last 20 years.
    Full story here
    http://radio.about.com/library/weekly/aa082603a.htm

This is ridiculous. Please, somebody tell me I'm wrong, and I just fell for a hoax.
    =

In addition, RIAA lawyers said they were hoping to get a court order to exhume the bodies of Scottish physicist James Clerk-Maxwell, who developed the theory of electromagnetic waves and Guglielmo Marconi, who discovered and harnessed wireless radio in order to sue both corpses for unfair business practices.
    A joke, and a good one too.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Ooops I didn't see that part. lol

I thought this was real for second.
    =

I thought it was real for a second also but if it was real What are the passengers supposed to do hang on the hood and the top of the car while you drive to work or better yet stuff them in the trunk.

lol.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was.

The Worlds coming to and end. Its over.

But not now.
    =

GreekGoddess
    Although it's a joke, for some reason, I could see it happening with RIAA.

In fact, I believe it is illegal to pipe radio through a PA system in a commercial
    establishment like a restaurant, unless you pay royalties.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Lol cheyenne1212, nice find heh heh.

I too, go along with GreekGoddess, in saying that I could see it happening with the RIAA.

Maybe that is what's next on their agenda of 'purism' heh heh only time will tell...

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Thats why I thought it was real for a second.

I definitely would not put it past the RIAA for trying to pass something like this.
    =

ROFL....you really got me there for a moment...until i reached the end.

Like the rest said I wouldnt put it past the RIAA to come up with something ridiculous like this.

Maybe they already got their lawyers working on it together with the order to exume Marconi and Clerk-Maxwell. heheh