Thread: Books

Books

I havent been coming in here and reading the forums lately becuz of school, but I have been reading computer books. I was wondering if there are some really good books that give the general idea of Internet Security. I am not looking for a list of 200 books, cuz i wont buy them all. I was just wondering becuz reading is what I have been doing since I have been so busy.
    Lately I have been reading Visual Basic For Dummies (But stopped near teh end becuz school started and am now taking C++), Internet Security and Firewalls (which is over my head so i kinda stoped reading it), And the latest is Networking+. I really like Networking+ becuz it talking to people that dont have any idea in this general area.
    So that is what I am kinda looking for in Internet Security.
    Any help is appericated.

-Ep
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100100000010000100110010101110100011101000111100100100001

I believe this is an FAQ, but oh, well.

I've heard good things about _Hacking Exposed_. _Secrets and Lies_, by Bruce Schneier, is an excellent book that does not require lots of technical knowledge, and is very broad and correct. (However, is it very much not an applied book.) _Stealing the Network_ has one (or two if you know how to use Google) sample chapters online, and is rather entertaining.

I guess that's three. Whoops.

Hi!
    U can search network Security by W. Stallings.
    Search in Direct Connect++, a peer 2 peer system like eMule.
    Also, Hacking Exposed (http://www.hackingexposed.com/) is a good book.
    Luck!
    Groby

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I would recommend books like:

Hacking Exposed - 4th Edition

Steal This Computer Book 3

Practical Unix & Internet Security - 3rd Edition

That last one may be more technical than you're looking for. I also have a number of niche specific favorites if you are interested in focusing on a particular subject like intrusion detection, incident response, firewalls or whatever. The books cited above are broader and more general- pertaining to computer security at large.

You can read my reviews of these and many other books on my About.com site if you are so inclined. Here is a link to the Book Reviews: Internet / Network Security Book Reviews

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the great selection. My father actually already bought one of the Steal This Book editions. I havent read it yet, but I will. I will be sure to read some of those others, and later I might take you up on that offer Tony.

-Ep
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100100000010000100110010101110100011101000111100100100001

If you are new to networking, chances are topics in some of the suggested security books will be over your head as well. Since you seem to be diggin' that network+ book, stck with books on that topic, and maybe pick up a book on TCP/IP.
    A books on OS's is good way to also, someone suggested Practical Unix and thats a great book.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

While not directly security related I would recommend TCP/IP illustrated. 849 pages of Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol goodness.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I dont really like spending money on books and things like that but they are really knowlegable and i guess i will have to buy some more books if i have to.But my question is i know there are alot of info about computers on the internet but sometimes you can get these books for free to read online (does this count as warez?) and sometimes the authors offer the online version free to download on there website.Can i get this for all computers books or not?.I would much like to have one of these books as an online version for free to put in my tutorial section rather than spend £60.00 on countless number of books as i am unemployed can neone help?,and if i was to give you some book titles can you help me find them online?,as i cannot find these using search engines but i usually find these on some security sites can anybody help? thank you

P.S: tonybradley,you own Steal This Computer Book 3?.I have a question i saw a few of those books in pc world only had a chance to have a quick look,they looked pretty good books with lots of info so i wrote the book titles down on my mobile just in case they are sold out when i next go back to the shop and thaught ill buy them on amazon.But when i got home i read the amazon.co.uk reviews on these books and people said they were script kiddie type books,have no info,and are a waste of money.This pissed me off because i read a bit of some of the books at pc world and thaught they were quite good,what are your opinions on the 3rd book?.

I don't really know of any real site that has what your looking for (that's legal). The most that I can suggest to you there is to simply read all the tutorials that you possibly can.

I share your opinion of how some books are very high-priced but here is a list of a few books that I have personally read or are in the process of reading that are definately more than worth the bang for your buck!

Counter Hack , by Ed Skoudis

Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking , by Ankit Fadia

Corperate Computer and Network Security , by Raymond R. Panko

Cybershock , by Winn Schwarteau

These I can tell you without a doubt are worth every penny if your interested in Computer Security.

Also if your looking into careers in the field of computers, may I suggest you get this one too...

Guide to Homeland Security Careers , by Donald Hutton and Anna Mydlarz

Hope this helps a bit...

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...