forgotten password

Thread: forgotten password

forgotten password

I'm new to this, registering out of desperation. My laptop has been programmed to start with a username and password - can't access anything at all as forgotten password. Tried loads of different ones that I would normally use - don't know if it's locked me out or not. Work have lost their master password so they can't access either. Tried everything but won't let us do anything. Screen comes up with Gant 1.1R System Validation Copytight Protection Systems Ltd 1197-2000. Help!

Sounds like you got yourself in a real pickle there.

Can you try to get ahold of the people who make that system?
    =

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Is this a BIOS password, an Operating System password or some 3rd-party application password?

When was the last time you used your laptop? Seems odd to forget a password on something you use regularly. Seems even more odd that the admins who are supposed to maintain such things would have also lost the "master" password. Maybe they should be fired?

Think it's an operating password - it's been set up as a security for the whole caboodle! It is used regularly but prompts me to change my password every eight weeks or so, which I did then went on holiday for a couple of weeks... there has also been a turnaround of personnel at the computer department, and they didn't hand over the passwords so I'm stuck there too. Apparently they've tried everything with no luck and said the best I can do is to keep trying different passwords - surely it won't let me do that forever!!

If you don't have anything real important on there, you could always swap hard drives out. That will fix it for sure.

When you get the password prompt is this right after you turn the comptuer on, or is it after the OS has loaded?
    =