Thread: File conversion Bug

File conversion Bug

There is file conversion bug in the implementation of the convert file system conversion command. On converting the root drive from FAT32 to NTFS the boot record of the source drive is corrupted and one has to use the FixMbr command in the recovery console. This issue is addressed in the folloing systems.

1. Windows XP all
    2. Windows 2000 all

Could you give more details on this? I have used convert many times in the past with no issues whatsoever? Is this because of some recent patch? Where is the M$ advisory or tech article?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

The problem is as below

1. My freind installed WindowsXP on C: drive with fat32.
    2. I told him NTFS is better, he agreed and i converted the source drive to NTFS(windows did it by rebooting and all that blah blah....).
    3. Next time system did not boot.
    4. I brought the hard disk and ran FixMbr on the source drive and everything was okay.
    5. I thougth it was a bug and tested on a test machine with the OS's i have mentioned and again all that happen
    Goto Step 1