Thread: How do I find my default nameserver?

Question How do I find my default nameserver?

I am playing around with sam spade trying to configure it and I need the nameserver. The instructions for sam spade are for windows 95 so I am having to adjust them a little for XP but I still cant find it. I clicked on properties under tcp/ip but everything is blank.

Anyone have another way?

Try ipconfig /all at the command line.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

N1ghtStalker, when I configured my Sam Spade for XP I just left that part blank and everything still seems to work fine.

I wouldn't worry to much about it.

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

typing nslookup somedomain.com @ the CLI will also return your default nameserver

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I typically enter a nameserver other than the one my machine has set as a defualt. I do this for a number of reasons but that's another story.

From the HELP in SamSpade:
    Default nameserver

You need to enter the nameserver your ISP told you to use here. If you don't have it noted you can find it:

1. Open the Windows Control Panel (Start->Settings->Control Panel)
    2. Open the Network dialog and select the Configuration tab
    3. Select TCP/IP and click on Properties
    4. Select DNS Configuration
    5. The address you need is the top address in the DNS Server Search Order box

(That's for Windows 95 - it's similar for NT)

Only enter one address in the default nameserver box
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Here's how you would do it on XP

1. Start->Control Panel
    2. Click 'Network connections' if you're in classic view, or click 'Network and Internet Connections' if you're in the default category view, then click 'Network Connections'.
    3.Right click your network or LAN connection, and select 'Status' from the popup box
    4. Go to the support tab of the status box
    5. Click 'Details' on the support tab

This will get you not only your DNS, but a whole lotta other info as well

Originally posted here by THE RADICAL
    N1ghtStalker, when I configured my Sam Spade for XP I just left that part blank and everything still seems to work fine.

I wouldn't worry to much about it.

--Peace
    Ya thats what I ended up doing and like you said everything still works fine.