Setting up a server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a server

Flash M0nkey

Setting up a server

ok did a quick search of tuts forum and didn't turn up anything about this.......what am looking to do is set up a server on my local machine just for testing of a forum.

Need php4 and mySQL - anyone wanna gimmie a walk thro on how to do it as I don't have a clue - lol

machine is a windows box - is it difficult to do?

v_Ln

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    liar you know how to hook it up

Flash M0nkey
    heh I dont - i can set up apache......but i dunno how to config it with php or how to instal mySQL - this is first site am designing with forum so have never needed to set up a local machine for testing before....any php i wanted to test i did it remotly on my host - why do you think am lying???

v_Ln

forgot to say as well that it dont need to be too secure or anything as will not be giving outside access to it - wont actually be running a server from home pc for others to conect to - just for my own testing

v_Ln

no i remember setting up an apache box mit php und mysql with ease!

"forgot to say as well that it dont need to be too secure or anything as will not be giving outside ccess to it - wont actually be running a server from home pc for others to conect to - just for my own testing "
    Ok then i think these instructions worked for those who didn't care much about security!

MySQL also comes with an idiot proof "thing" for windows if i remember, it just works although without a password. (Create a new user though, oh you will need a mysql client also to alter the users and database :-) )

PHP4 is another of those idiot proof installers, assuming apache is installed it will try to patch the config files to allow it to run.

Reboot the machine for good measure or try restarting the apache service!

All of this was done from memory but I think some / all of it is correct!

p.s. If in doubt read the manuals and readme's or google for a proper tutorial.
    p.p.s This method totally disregards all web safety!
    p.p.p.s Remember to manipulate the firewall not to bitch if ones running.

Flash M0nkey
    I got it all installed i just dont know how to config it - trying to use phpMyAdmin

what am looking to do is set it up so I can test an invision board - but how do i set up a new mySQL database once i have it installed? anyone got any experience with using phpAdmin or invision on a local machine?

v_Ln

Never tried invision's bb, (if the scripts are copied correctly) does it not come with an installer script to auto setup the database?

or maybe you want to know how to setup a new user to access the database?

If it's not going to be used on the internet or get any kind of remote acccess, maybe you could try the insecure (to use) and not recommended "root" user. That should allow the database to set up but is not recommended.

I recommend something other than the included phpMyadmin in my own opinion!

Flash M0nkey
    yup invision does come with an instalation page thing that you run in browser to set up - but it needs to know mySQL database name etc and I have no idea how to find that out or config it - never really worked with mySQL before so aint got a clue what to do

v_Ln

It's assuming that a database and it's permissions are already setup.

I can tell you what need's to be done but you will have to work out how to do it in your specific mysql client.

1.Assuming the client works, login as root and if set its password / otherwise leave field blank.

2.Create a new Database

3.Give it a rememerable name or write it down.

4.Create a new user for mysql (again im assuming you've looked up in your mysql client's manual about how to)

5.Give it a password (if you want, you said it had no outside access though)

6.Remember user and pass or write it down.

7.Grant all privillages i.e. create insert delete e.t.c. to this user to the database you named in step two.

8. Logout of the root account and write this newly aquired information into the invision setup guide

That's as close as i can get you, you'll have to jump!
    I'm sure somebody will be able to explain fully for what ever client you use for mysql anyway. These are steps i would probaly use but i've never seen the board.

Flash M0nkey
    what client should i use to connect to mySQL???

Any! There is one that comes with mysql hidden in the bin folder, which is also auto installed as a tray icon i think. I preffer to use SQLyog which I found on webattack.com 's freeware section. I've just looked at the website and it appears to be shareware. Any way you should be able to use anything which is a mysql client (vague i know but i cant really help anymore).