Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting past firewall & NAT

Getting past firewall & NAT

Ok i have taken networking classes before so I'm not too much of a noob... but i haven't yet run into this problem and im stumped.

Basicly im on a school network and i want to run a ftp server so i can get all of my files from this laptop to my computer at home. At school im behind a NAT, so when i start the server it thinks my ip is 10.10.x.x . Obviously this is a problem, i need my ftp program to recognize my "real" ip. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ok can I please everyone PLEASE!

Jizz

mthree984,

Be more specific with the details of how you want to accomplish this:

1)Do you want the FTP server to be the laptop or the PC at home. You can do a "PUT' or a "GET"

2) What type of "NAT" is performed on the router./Can traffic be initiated from outside as well as inside to school PC?
    Diff flavors of NAT

a) static one to one
    b)dynamic one to one
    c)PAT /NAT overloading (where traffic can be inititated only from inside. one to many translation)
    d) Is or does the school router support port forwarding feature (useful if only 1 public IP is available for many private)

4) And last you need to know if there are any firewalls/ACLs (filtering) done on any intermediate devices between Laptop and PC.

cheers.

P.S.
    sorry Jizz (didnt see your response)

you may not be too much of a noob to networking but you're obviously a noob to a forum (AO) that is about protecting networks from people like you.. and not to help you bypass your school's networking restrictions.

and I'd edit out that ip number from your post.. if it's for real.. (courtesy to your school's admin)

if you have files that you'd like to save.. why can't you ask the school's admin to burn them to a cd ?

I ain't gonna give any neg antipoints.. as you are just quite new here... but I would suggest that you just delete this thread..

chow..

sumdumguy ,

I was assuming he was the admin and wanted to know of a way to achieve this....
    Well mthree984 are you?

Cheers

yeah gunit.. and I guess I assumed he wasn't.. (just the way i read it )

sumdumguy,

I think you might have called it right..
    I was too quick to assist w/o looking into alterior motives.

cheers

Problem is solved...

I just had to make sure the ftp packets were redirecting to my machine (they werent). Just a configuration error.

Sumdumguy: Your a ****ing *******. Protect networks from people like me? I helped set all this **** up so the students here couldn't run servers. We have lots of available bandwidth all the time now because of that!

Gunit: No im not admin, but i was trying to help the admin to fix this problem

Oh by the way you read my post? I put it into lamen's terms, or atleast i thought i did a good job of it. I didnt know the intelligence level of the users of this forum, so i figured i'd explain it as simple as possible.

well mthree984.. call me names if you wish.. it just shows your maturity level.

you re-read how you phrased you orginal post.. and tell me what part of that provided me with any info as to your "authority" to do these actions ?

mthree984:
    Kid, you should come down, drink a glass of milk and think twice before flaming your paires.
    Reading your post any AO could understnad that you want to use the school network in an other way that it is designed for. For your own benefit. Maybe are you helping a school network admin but therefore he should get fired coze he is the pain in the ass of the community.

FTP port is the open door to the whole jungle out there.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]