Just wanted to ask some of you all that would have an informed opinion about the idea of artificial intelligence in IDS's and firewalls

I've got a guy who's a wiz at AI and dabbles quite a bit in computer/network security and thinks it's a good idea, but he wants me and a friend to work on it with him. Acctually it's my friends Dad. He thinks we can train his latest ai implementation that he wrote in java to do ids stuff. and oh yeah, it's genetic, i.e. like natural selection type stuff where it rewrites it's own code based on what works. I'm not gonna try to understand the specifics at least yet. Though he wants to teach me.

Just wanted to throw something out for discussion. I'd love some ideas, but we're probably gonna try and market this, so you'd just be helping a goofy closed source (for now at least, he's got patents on the stuff) endeavor.

I don't have specifics yet, i'm a humble c++ coder turned PC tech, not exactly sure. I'm not even sure i'm gonna do it yet. He says we'd have to make modules that set ids info up for the ai to process. you know, do the scans, check the exe names, tell it how to tell what's going on on the comp. Well, that's all I know, and hadn't heard anything about it here yet, though i don't come here every day. thanks in advanced for comments