Video Input

Thread: Video Input

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Video Input

I finally got a DVD recorder today. It is just a DVD+RW/+R drive. Now I want to convert all of my old home movies from VHS-C onto DVD. Can anyone recommend a good video input card or tell me what sort of pros and cons I should be looking for when I shop for one?

Thanks

The Iceman Cometh
    I've had some pretty good experience with Dazzle's products. A few of my clients do semi-professional video editting and they all have varying Dazzle systems. The external boxes are very easy to set up and the software packages included are pretty decent. You can see their products and what each has to offer at www.dazzle.com.

AJ

Get a Radeon all-in-wonder. I have one, and cannot say anything bad about it. I have also heard almost only good things about them. I strongly recommend any version. The higher version has little to do with video 'capture' in my opinion, but the higher the version, the better the output graphic capabilities.

The Iceman Cometh
    If you want an internal card (Dazzle's primarily external boxes), ATI's new ATI TV-Wonder Pro definately has a lot going for it. I used to have an TV Wonder PCI and I was pretty happy with it. You may wanna check it out. Here's a link for more info: http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4679.html

I agree with The3ntropy that the Radeon All-in-Wonder is nice, but it's only useful if you're planning on replacing your current video card because (as far as I know... correct me if I'm wrong) it's only offered as an AGP card.

AJ

Here's the Top Selling list in www.digitalvideoediting.com
    ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 PRO Graphics Card - 12 store offers from $331 - $450
    ATI RADEON 9000 PRO Graphics Card - 15 store offers from $66 - $119
    ATI RADEON 9000 PRO Graphics Card - 4 store offers from $69 - $119
    ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 Graphics Card - 17 store offers from $103 - $148
    Asustek V 9280 TD Graphics Card - 15 store offers from $124 - $189
    ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Graphics Card - 19 store offers from $359 - $420

You can find reviews, user forum and editing techniques on that site.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds