problem with windows xp

Thread: problem with windows xp

problem with windows xp

Hello,

I have a problem in Windows XP that really weird. Every time I double-click on a folder in opens up a search window? I have to right click and select open to open the folder. Whats causing this and how can I fix it? I don't think its a virus cause I've done a full system scan and nothing came up. Thank you for your time.

What do you mean by a "Search Window"? Like An internet search window? Windows Explorer? Please elaborate.

A search window exactly like the window that comes up when you go to Start->Search
    One kind act done to a single heart is better than a thousand heads bowed in prayer. - Gandhi

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own, todays worries are enough for today. - Matthew 6.34

Banned
    that is kinda weird!!!
    has any one fooled with your pc, changing thins maybe as a joke??

have a look at the properties of the folder and see where the location of the folder is directing you to...

thats all i can think of at the moment...

Nightfalls_Girl

its with EVERY folder I double click on
    One kind act done to a single heart is better than a thousand heads bowed in prayer. - Gandhi

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own, todays worries are enough for today. - Matthew 6.34

look here http://tinyurl.com/lwjz

edit:

naaa.. forget that.. look here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321186

Can we try a bit of an elimination process?

You will have to do a google search or whatever, as I do not have the links....sorry

Get AdAware 6.0 from lavasoft, update it and run it.
    Get Spybot Search & Destroy, update and run it.

BTW................... these are excellent tools and you should have them anyway

Try one of the major AV sites such as PANDA, or PC-cillin (network associates) and run their online scanner.

This should eliminate the possibility of malware ( well, I'd feel about 95% happy if you did that).

I am afraid that I have just moved house, and have only just located my XP Pro box........should have it up and running tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

Good luck

no nihil.. it's a known problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321186
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321186
    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

SYMPTOMS
    If you double-click a drive or folder, Search Companion may start and the drive or folder may not open. If you configure settings for other actions that are associated with drives or file folders (for example, Open Command Window Here or Print Directory Listing), Windows may perform one of these actions instead of starting Search Companion.

NOTE: If you configure the Single-click to open an item (point to select) setting in Windows, this problem may occur if you single-click a drive or folder.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types. For example, this problem occurs for folders if you complete the following procedure:
    Open the folder, and then click Folder Options on the Tools menu.
    Click File Folder in the Register file types list, and then click Advanced.
    After you perform this procedure, the None setting is removed from the value data for the Default string value in the following registry key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

NOTE: This problem occurs even if you do not create a new action, edit existing actions, or change the default action in the Edit File Type dialog box.
    RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to set the value data for the Default string value in the registry keys that are described in the "Cause" section of this article to none:
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If this problem occurs with drives:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

Click Modify on the Edit menu.
    Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.

edit:
    if you uncomfortable with registry changes.. look here..
    (open the file with notepad to view if you don't trust)
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...older_open.htm