Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Peer to Peer App - Earthstation 5

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

New Peer to Peer App - Earthstation 5

As if my life isn't hard enough....

This P2P is designed to protect the P2P user and circumvent all known methods of blocking peer apps. Get ready for the fun.

Here is a snip from the website:

"sdES5 breaks new ground by providing fast file sharing and downloading with stealth technology to hide your ip address and prevent harrassment. ES5 uses proxy servers and SSL encryption (Secure Sockets) to transfer files. No one but you knows where a file is going and no one but you and your sharee know what was transferred. A wealth of other features include: Preview files while they are downloading to find out in minutes that you dont want a file that might take hours to download. Uses random ports so your ISP cannot limit your bandwidth by traffic type nor can anyone.scan your system and know you are using ES5. Uses SSL so your ISP or admin cannot know what you are transferring. "

http://www.zeropaid.com/es5/

This is the official site for EarthStation 5:
    [url]http://www.earthstation5.com/download.html[url]
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Interesting. Might be a little hard to block. If we catch anyone using P2P or any programs on our "bad programs" list we set them up in their own OU and set the "Run only specified apps" Group Policy Object. (Thus not allowing them to start any .exe we dont specify) We are a smaller shop though and can do this easily.

Comes with a build in webserver:

"• Integrated Web Server Makes Sharing “Sets” of Files Easy. Sometimes you want to share a "set" of files that all belong together, files that interlink and have relation to one another. The most efficient way to do this is for these files to be placed on a ãwebsite.ä To facilitate this, ES5 provides its users with a built in web server to permit the user to create a ãwebsiteä for these linked files. The files shared through a userâs ES5 web server will appear when someone searches the ES5 network. When located, the ES5 downloader accesses the users own ES5 website through the ES5 integrated web browser. For additional security, users can place passwords on their ES5 enabled web site providing access only to other users granted permission to do so. "

Wonder if this will cause problems with users on the net with a cable connection and no firewall?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Sounds like a good P2P program...looks like they planned everything out and r fightin the RIAA. Wonder how many holes this program will have and open.

I'm downloading it right now.

I gotta see if it really does what they say it does.

I'll post again when I get it going.

[edit]

Heres the Pic of the part where you can search for files.

=

this is probably a stupid question but how does es5 make money if they dont have an banner adds, pop ups adds, or spyware that goes along with their software?
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Good question eskimo. I really like the way it looks tho....I think it's cool. I'm on P2P's side, so I'm loving all the new features (stealth stuff) but I can see how an admin wouldn't like it....

I was wondering when something like this would come out. The guys at CDC have had a prject application that tunnels through censored networks. *cough-china* For a while now I have been wonderingwhat event (RIAA) and what applications would lead the rest of the world to adobt similar ideals and measures.

As to how they make money? Not everyone is out for some of the green stuff. Maybe their motivations are freedom and open source idealogy.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I'm not sure of their monetary motivators but I can tell you that as a Security Engineer, this is going to be a serious pain in the a$$.

Think about it. How the hell would you discover this on your network? Protocol analyzers will be useless, sniffers, yep, they'll be worthless. Firewalls - a trivial joke. If you walk up to the workstation, the damn thing is locked up using PGP keys.

Seems that someone has been doing their homework.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

There was a bunch of hype about this several months ago when it wsa first announced , the servers they use are in palestine if i remember right and one or two of the founders are some of the first creators of p2p software. They were going to offer streaming adult movies and a dating service as a bonus. It wasn't nix compatible when it first started so i never checked it out. But it looked quite promising.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I worry how will we have to configure efficiently our firewalls if we use this new p2p client.
    It seems to need very flexibles rules in order to work correctly. And It is always dangerous to let p2p programs on a computers without good protections.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--