Thread: programming, unix, OSx, etc...

programming, unix, OSx, etc...

This is for any experienced Mac users: Since Mac OSx is Unix based and all, does it let you use gcc??? Have any of you done any serious programming in your Macs: Unix network programming, app developement, etc????
    I am really looking into buying a 12'' Powebook, sure looks sweet but will i be able to use it for my Network and programming courses at my school??? Is OS x a good way to get into the Unix world??
    Any insight will be surely appreciated before I spend any cash on a Mac. I would like to hear any opinions of serious tech people here in AO who use Macs, because I don't believe a 100% in Apple's "Switch" advertising campaign.

thanks
    J

Re: programming, unix, OSx, etc...

Originally posted here by johnnymier
    [B]This is for any experienced Mac users: Since Mac OSx is Unix based and all, does it let you use gcc???
    I'm not an experienced Mac user, but yes.

You can get gcc for Mac OS X and it does work

Have any of you done any serious programming in your Macs: Unix network programming, app developement, etc????
    No, but I understand that things do work in the normal way.

From what I've heard you can use normal Unix sockets programming, and it works.

I am really looking into buying a 12'' Powebook, sure looks sweet but will i be able to use it for my Network and programming courses at my school??? Is OS x a good way to get into the Unix world??
    Certainly, I think so.

Mac os X *is* Unix based. It does run a Unix based kernel (although its GUI is highly proprietry)

Slarty

Hey J,

As slarty said, Mac OSX is (BSD) UNIX based. And did you know that they actually build mozilla on Mac OSX using gcc? And Mac OSX is one of 3 major platforms for mozilla release. Well if that is not a serious UNIX network programming to you, then I don't know what is.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    http://www.mozilla.org/

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Thanks slarty and jdenny. You anwers mean I better start saving up some cash for my powerbook. I guess the only problem with Macs is $$$$$. Its cool to know mozilla is built on OSx.

peace,
    J

T3h Ch3F

Remember It is Unix

I am typing this from my Powerbook, the answer is yes. I find OSX "Jaguar", to be one of the best OS's I have yet to use. It is the precursor for good things to come. I have a great deal of respect for the fact that it is Unix based. I look forward to "Panther", the next generation of Mac's OS.

I have both Mac and IBM based systems, and find them both to be good for specific uses. If you are a graphic artist Mac is a must.

My answer is yes, buy that Book man! You will love it. Plus it looks cool.

P:

i personaly havent had much experience with os x, my school uses it extensively though so i probly should brush up, and i was wondering, just how unix based is it? i recall that someone said the gui was very proprietary... is there any way to get past all the gui? for instance is there a pure unix command line buried there? or is it totally different?

I like suse and xp, but my son is a Mac man himself. He says there are no other O.S.s. He uses it at school and at work. I have a freind at work and he says the samething. Hmm, maybe I should take a look at one myself and see what I'm missing.

Freddy
    cybnut

You aren't really missing much. I have played with Linux, BSD, MAC from OS 7.6 to OS X Jaguar, Windows from 3.1 to 2003, DOS, OS2, basically what I am getting at is that every OS has good things and bad things. MAC has good features but not enough to dish out 2-3 K for it. Well at least not if you have my pockets. If I could throw money into something like that then sure why not. It isn't as good as they say it is though man really. I loved watching those commercials about the switch they talk about never crashing, Hell we used to crash them at work all the time and doing basic stuff. Don't get me wrong I like OSX and not bashing it but it is a pretty penny.

T3h Ch3F
    Quote From gamer.

" You aren't really missing much. I have played with Linux, BSD, MAC from OS 7.6 to OS X Jaguar, Windows from 3.1 to 2003, DOS, OS2, basically what I am getting at is that every OS has good things and bad things. MAC has good features but not enough to dish out 2-3 K for it. ".

Have you only played with all these OS's and Have never Married one?

Damn man You a Cyber Hoe.

Anyhow back to the original Question.

Do not buy from "Macstore", they have been ordered to cease and desist.

Link- http://macstore.com/store.html

They fukd ppl!

I still urge you.........If you have the money (Concession to Gamernoob), they are expensive! FYI Gamer I have been playing Neverwinter Nights, at full res. on this little powerbook. Just be sure you keep the OS updated.

Good Luck Man

P: