Problem with my PC...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my PC...

Unhappy Problem with my PC...

Hi all, recently, i've just bought a new systems where I build it by myself... but I'm having a problem with my PC. The problem was; when I playing games, there are yellow spots display on my pc, sometime my display flickering a few time... and when enter the menu, there is unrecognized line come out.... never seen it before....

My spec;

AMD XP 2600+
    256MB 333DDR
    MSI KT4AV M/B
    WInfast Geforce FX A340 TDH Graphic Card

I already update all the driver, but still having problems.....

Please help me.....

Banned
    Check you monitor sounds like you might be having color variations in your monitor,I might be wrong though. I run a cmos test for color and if you still have it and you have no problems with the test it is your monitor.

Jizz

Replace the video card to make sure its not defective. paste the error so we can assist you better.
    \"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.\" (Sign hanging in Einstein\'s office at Princeton)

did you try changing your monitor's refresh rate ?
    what tools do you have for tweaking your video card ?

edit:
    on second thought.. besides that.. it very well could be defective memory on the video card.. but "underclocking" it might reduce this.

I'm using Winfox to overclock my video card, but this software suggested by winfast. Even im not using it, im still having problem. is it my m\b not stable enough? because before this i had Epox motherboard, but there is no problem.

If you were using that overclocker but are not now, and the problem is still occuring, then there is a chance that you might of slightly damaged your Video Card.

Find a old one laying around and swap it out.
    =

Could Be

What the other users have recommended are good ideas. One other thing you might want to try is unplugging your monitor and checking the pins at the end of the cable to see if any of them are bent. Sometimes if you have a pin that's bent it will give you color problems. Also make sure you don't have your monitor near anything magnetical. Like microwaves or certian types of copiers (i.e. the big ones used in businesses. We had problems with this at my shop with a certain copier). Also if you bought a new mobo and are having this problem make sure the AGP Bus speed in the BIOS wasn't changed by accident. The BIOS might give you the option to change it and it might not . The correct setting is 66mhz. You have an 8x AGP card as well so make sure that in the BIOS is is set to 8x. If it is set at 8x try bumping it down to 4x and see if it helps (you might not notice a difference at all BTW). One more thing, if you set the AGP Aperture size up to high in the BIOS like around 128 or 256 MB it has been known to cause problems with certian motherboard and video card combinations. If you are having trouble or are confused with the BIOS in any way (some people are some aren't) check out this site:

http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

Check this place out. It is probably one of the best BIOS guides around due to the fact that it is constantly updated and it's very informative.

Or hell you might just have a bad motherboard that's new, it happens every once and a while. Or your video card might be flaky. Also, make sure you have a good PSU, from the specs on your system I would personally run a 400 watt or 420 watt. It might just need an electrical boost. Hope I've helped in a small way. Nobody wants to have a fubared system. Peace.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Old Fart
    Hmmmm... I'm OCing and my video is screwed.....

Set your clock speed and RAM settings back to default. Then GRADUALLY increase each setting and test your video before applying said settings. Once you get to the point it begins to screw up, undo your last settings change and be happy with what you got.

I'll add that I've found "coolbits" to be a very effective o/c tool for nvidia cards.

Good luck!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

One thing

Also since your card is a nVidia card you have the option to lock your refresh rate. XP has a bad habit of dropping the refresh rate to (I think) 60 hertz when you're playing games. To make it so it doesn't drop while in games do this:

1. Right click on your desktop
    2. Select Properties from the list
    3. Go over to the Settings tab at the top and click it
    4. Click the Advanced button near the bottom of the window
    5. Select the tab with the nVidia logo on it that says what type of video card you have
    6. A box will appear to the left of the window
    7. The 7th option down should say Refresh Rate Override (or click the plus (+) next to Performace & Quality Settings then the plus (+) next to Direct3D Settings)
    8. Click the radio button that says Override Refresh Rate
    9. Then scroll down to the resolution that you have your monitor set on and click where it says Default and a drop down menu will show up
    10. Select whatever refresh rate you want (I recommend 85 Hertz)

Some of the nicer monitors like 19' ones will let you go up to 100 - 120 Hertz on 1024x768 resolution. Play around with the settings and see it it helps as well.

Also you could be having a RAM problem. RAM is tricky stuff. See if you can borrow a stick from a friend or the shop where you bought it (if it was local) and try swapping it out and see if that helps.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Regal Making Handler
    As well as all the good advice already posted have you go direct x 9
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry