New Patch Management From Our Friends at MS

Thread: New Patch Management From Our Friends at MS

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

New Patch Management From Our Friends at MS

I have bitched about this for *years* to our MS rep and nothing was ever done about it. After the Blaster episode, it seems that the "oh ****" alarm went off somewhere in the MS empire. You just have to love a reactive approach to doing business.

This is my favorite quote from the article because this is *exactly* what I told the donkey who I deal with from MS.

"It's better not to have any tools, than ones that lie to you," says Tom Geairn, president of NewView Consulting.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0901mspatch.html

Enjoy!

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO French Antique News Whore
    Finally, the big monster is waking up!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I already use Shavlik's NetChk mentioned in the article, it does a pretty good job for patch management and deployment but there is SO much room for improvement that almost anything looks good to me now.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well my most recent complaint to our MS rep was about the tool they handed out to detect the RPC/Blaster issue. We have about 2000+ W98 machines (yes, we are currently upgrading them) that the tool would hit as false positives.

The very best tools we used in detection of the problem were 1) Nessus and 2) The little command line tool from IIS.net. Both of these did the job that MS couldn't.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden