View Poll Results: Which pill would you take?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Pill - Enter the Matrix

23 79.31%
  • Blue Pill - Not Enter the Matrix

3 10.34%
  • Not sure

3 10.34%

Thread: Terminate and Stay Resident programs

Question Terminate and Stay Resident programs

Dear friends,

I assess my C++ knowledge as a beginner. I'm interested in doing systems programming. I have come across books called "C odyssey-Advanced Ms-DOS programming" and also "Writing TSRs through C" by kanetkar. Though those two books gave an idea of how viruses work by stealing system interrupts and replace them with their own.

The books were written for C and I couldn't find any book for writing TSRs in C++. Moreover somewhere i have read that for Windows environment(Multitasking environment) you can't write TSRs. Is it so?

Also in those books they described about far and huge pointers which are obsolete in C++. So my compiler(VC++) doesn't compile those programs. I couldn't do anything with this. Please help

is it possible to write TSRs in windows? Please throw some light on TSRs.

Regards
    rmchokku.

Just Another Geek
    TSRs are the 'old' way to get more then 1 program running. As you know MS-DOS is a single user OS. This means you can only have 1 (one) program active. By using a TSR you could run something in the background. This got obsoleted as soon as Windows started to be a multitasking OS.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

well as sir sirdice said all thats needed but i wud recommend u to go through both the books thoroughly and get a compiler for MS DOS environment....

Going through both of these book will make u more sensible about the viruses and a brief insight into some classics that did created havoc sometime back in the old years....

overall these 2 books will create a gud understanding and broaden ur thinking....

and BTW just a advise on the main page u can see a thread named "virus writer caught" and another one with "virus writer jailed" i have just posted abt some gr8 viruses writes who spend some gr8 days in the jail after doing this gr8 task.....

so dont make viruses....make something more elegent and help the Digital Society to grow and eradicate bad elements....

BTW i have read both the books and i rate them high.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

NullDevice,

I thank you for yours and Sirdice' suggestions. This is not to create viruses but to understand how they work.I will make use of for writing some useful programs.

In the mean time apart from TSRs, is there any other way to create memory resident programs in windows?(i.e what is the Windows equivalent for this)

Inadvertently I gave rating to my own article-so please excuse me.

Chokks.

Banned
    From what I remember about old M$ computers it went kinda like this...

C:\WhereAmI?\himem.sys
    C:\someDIR\dosemm386.exe\ | extended mem. | RAM |noems <-- (no expanded memory)|
    dos=high,umb
    High=C:\someDIR\SomeSystemFile.sys 1020 /e

And also some other ways I think but im not sure if the above works since I haven't played with DOS in this way since I was a small child... hell even as I child I think this would be dated & I also think this definetly may not work esspecially with newer computers cause of the different files, proccessors, command structure, & (ect).

Also... I dunno if your planing to get into VX or something but I'd advise you to quit while your ahead. And before you thank me like you did with Sirdice & Nulldevice, I'd just like to say that your (not) welcome.