Two Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Questions

Question Two Questions

I am new to this forum... so I thought this might be the place for my questions. I have always wondered two things. I have heard about them, seen them, but never been able to accomplish them.

Number 1: How is it possible to embed files inside an image (*.bmp, *.jpg, ect)? How do you do it?

And Number 2: I see on lots of computers around my town that the DOS Prompt is banned. I was thinking that it might be a DWORD value in the registry or something but I just can't figure this one out. Also is there a way to get around this?

If I stepped out of line somewhere let me know! I really like this place and I want to try to stay within the rules, but Im not entirely sure what they are yet. I will see if there are some posted after I post this thread. Thanks...

It is called Steganography http://www.stegoarchive.com/ for your first question
    Second Question I am still working on that.

Im not sure what exactly you mean by question #2, but what happens if you click start>run> and type in cmd or command.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

1. Well if your looking to stuff an mp3 in a image and still have the image open you might be out of luck. You could always just rename the file with a .bmp/jpg/gif extension but of course the file will not open in any grapics programs.

The two closest things I can think of is Steganograpy as XavierWarlock pointed out http://www.searchlores.org/stego.htm and alternate data streams http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/docs/dark_side.html

2. Depends on what version of windows your on and how they ban you from the command line. Some times the icon is just removed. Keep in mind that the dos prompt is just command.exe so you could always just try throwing it on a floppy.

They must have a very good reason if they disabled the dos prompt. and yes there is a way around it.

Answer to question 2
    Open your registry and find a entry called disabled Hkey_current_users\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
    Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, named "Disabled" and set it to "1" to disable the command prompt or to re-enable it again later change the value to "0".

Restart Windows for the change to take effect

if the command promt is disabled chances are regedit would be too. depending as to what exactly and how its been disabled determins whats you need to do. sometimes typing "start cmd.exe" in notepad and saving it on the desktop as a .bat file will do the trick.

your stego question has already been answered but id like to add: i like stool. its stand alone requiring no installation and password protects the file...not as advanced as some but i like it
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

There is a possibility that if this is a computer at work the admin is stopping you from opening it by using the group policy editor. gpedit.msc If this is the case then you really shouldn't try messing with this PC could get you in trouble fast. If it is yours then there is a problem but you said around your town so it doesn't specify who's pc it is.

Oh the computers arent mine. They are the ones at work. It just bugs me because I have never seen this done before and then all of a sudden DOS prompt is banned. I was just wondering how it was done because I have never seen this before.

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    if the command promt is disabled chances are regedit would be too. depending as to what exactly and how its been disabled determins whats you need to do. sometimes typing "start cmd.exe" in notepad and saving it on the desktop as a .bat file will do the trick.

your stego question has already been answered but id like to add: i like stool. its stand alone requiring no installation and password protects the file...not as advanced as some but i like it
    Would this work on a PC that is running Windows NT4 on a server ? I'm curious because my PC at work runs on this system and has had it's run and regedit functions restricted.

Would be nice to know I'm one up on my work's sysadmins.... hehe (Good god, the ego.....)