how do 'they' trace me-part2.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do 'they' trace me-part2.

Angry how do 'they' trace me-part2.

Cheers framework,whizkid and others for the advice. I met this person on the AOL football message boards(go and have a look).He/she goes under the name of Bose followed by anumber,usually 222 or 321.He/she can be found on the arsenal and spurs boards. Just 'insult' spurs quite a lot and watch what happens next.I dare someone to find out who this 'looper' is.Im being attacked as i write. On my FW logs i do get his ips etc..but they are constantly coming from everywhere,not just one Isp. I get a new Ip addy everytime i log on with my Isp so i presume its not static.Ive changed my email addy,and passwords alot but he/she keeps finding me??I havent been on the boards for months .I have dobbed them in but it seems to do no good.BTw,this person has loads of screen names on the boards that have convo's with themselves-this is a very unusual person i believe.Perhaps somebody should try to find them,then i could inform somebody about them.I keep my stuff always up to date and i also get a free online scan aswell as my normal AV software.Would getting a new modem help??Can they find my modem id on the net??Cheers.Tommy gun.Btw,this person did send a few trojans and viruses originally but i got rid of themand they attacked my hard drive so it wouldnt workbut i got it sorted out.i think this person is trying to just really get under my skin because i made them look a fool on the football boards.I wasnt rude or anything but they were being racist etc,...etc... on the boards and i 'told them off'.This person constantly 'attacks' others on the AOL football boards and i think they are extremely evil and need the authorities onto them.Thanks.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    So have you contacted the authorities and filed a complaint or multiple complaints with both AOL and the ISP the person is using? At this point, I'd almost say "stalking"..

As for the modem, as long as your IP is truly DHCP (that is, it changes regularly) it will be difficult but evidentally they may be pulling your information from an email that they are receiving from you (you may be unknowningly sending them a legit email and they are using that). Might want to speak to your ISP about ways to help deal with this.

Another thought may be for you to change your regular handle to a new one and you may want to start hiding your IP here. If it's someone from here, they can see your ip address when they get the listing of "Who's Online" (hence the reason why I hide myself here.. )
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There could very well be a trojan in your computer sending the attacker information such as your email address, IP and any other information that he might use againts you. Try running THE CLEANER trojan remover and also do a search for sub7 and backorifice. The reason the person has multiple names talking to themselves is to confuse newbies. Run some up-to-date antivirus, antitrojan programs to clean your computer. You said you cleaned up all the trojans but might have been a few that have slipped through. Let us know if you find any more information.
    \"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.\" (Sign hanging in Einstein\'s office at Princeton)

It is most likely a trojan, check online for a free virus scan.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    Everyone has to start somewhere and we all start at the bottom - FeN-i-X

I would agree with the consensus it has to be a trojan. Since you using a dial-up on an aol account the only way someone could keep track of is if they had something on your machine that sent information to a certain location(it could be email,irc,certain ip whatever).

You might want to open up a command window and run netstat -na and get a list of open connections. I would do it right when I go online and repeatedly check it. Id try to figure out what any established or even listening connections are.

I could be wrong but I did not think he could get your ip from your 'who's online' list. Generally all chat communication and whos online goes through the aol server, the only time youd actaully be able to see the ip of someone your communicating with is if you do a file transfer and it sets up a direct connection between you and the other end.

Umm.. .here on AO, you do see the IP address on the Who's Online list.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Thanx for all the advice so far.I really appreciate it. :0)
    I did an RAV antivirus scan and that came up clear and so did norton and mcafee and trend micro.I feel it is possibly a trojan but how come i cant find it?surely formatting/recovering which ive done a few times would remove a trojan?

P.S>Ms mittens-how do i hide my ip on here?

jewelius:

Go to Edit Site Options and select Yes for Invisible Mode. You may want to make sure that for other websites it hides your status. Many sites have this option in preferences. You may want to visit http://www.moosoft.com , home of The Cleaner. The Cleaner is software that detects specifically Trojans. Try rebooting and running it in Safe Mode, non-connected to the Internet.

Other things to consider to detect would be checking to see if any processes running on your machine are ones that you don't recognize and/or any connections that aren't related to existing activities.

What specifically has he done to make you think he actually has access to your machine and isn't just attempting?

Thanx Ms.Mittens 4 the advice. Ive already tried the cleaner and it didnt find anything. I cant understand how 'he' can know my IP addy though. I dont think they have control of my computer but to constantly attack it and dismantle my Firewall then they must somehow know my changing IP.How???As soon as i go online i get a popup saying"high risk-a remote computer is trying to access your computer".Ofcourse i block them but i get loads from different IPs constantly. I basically want to know how i can 'hide' from this bizarre being.What they get out of it im not sure but there are some very strange people out there.I just reinstall or format so its not doing me any harm,just extra work thats all but then again im sure its even more work for them basically for nothing.Oh well its teaching me a few things about computers that i wouldnt have known anyway. :0)
    It appears that the only programs running are my ISP,backweb,generic host process,firewall.
    I cant see anything that shouldnt be there.Its a mystery.Cheers.Tommy.

Your ISP software?? I wonder if he has a remote control software that connects via NetBIOS or something like that. I've seen a prof who had software like this where it picks up and "controls" a machine if you have the IP. Could he have software that would remotely control the ISP Software? (Perhaps he works or used to work for the ISP?)