Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Anti Virus won't update

Post Norton Anti Virus won't update

I'm not sure if I posted on the right location. My Norton AntiVirus does not update when I click on Live update it would connect to the symantec server and says that I have the latest virus definition but when I go to the website I don't have the latest virus definitions, what I got was a few months back.

Not sure if its the same thing with Tauscan but it also happens and I have to download the definitions update from the website. I would appreciate any advise on how to fix this problem.

Your subscription might be up I do know that norton does give free updates for 1 year and then after that you have to pay for them unless you upgrade to the new release of the software

Banned
    That cant be a good thing!!!
    We are running Nortin and we have not had any problems with it, just to day it informed me it has been live updated and ther are new downloads avalable....

could just be your computer???
    try emailing them...
    or try doing it again tomorrow..
    just a thought...

Nightfalls_girl

Did you rip the norton that you have and instead of paying for norton AKA "RESOURCE HOG" go with somthing free like
    AVG or another
    http://download.com.com/2001-20-0.html
    # ZDNet
    Spread Firefox.

The Iceman Cometh
    Symantec only updates LiveUpdate every Wednesday. If you go to the web site, the definitions you can download (via the intelligent updater) are updated almost daily. Most of the viruses they add to the definitions prior to releasing the LiveUpdate aren't critical. Whenever critical viruses are found (such as sobig.f or blaster) they release updates via LiveUpdate. So, unless you're paranoid, just hold off on updates until the LiveUpdates are released Wednesday afternoons.

AJ

Edit: Oops... didn't read your post too carefully. Try adding the following to your registry (I got it from the Symantec site some time ago when I was having my own problems with LiveUpdate)... I don't remember where it was, but it's in the knowledge base somewhere...
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{00020404-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    @="IEnumVARIANT"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{00020404-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid]
    @="{00020421-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{00020404-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32]
    @="{00020421-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{00020404-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\NumMethods]
    @="7"

Norton usually issues LiveUpdates on Wednesday afternoon.
    When necessary, they release updates more often, like on Sunday.
    Every now and then, LiveUpdates are released more often than that.
    In the last week of 1999, it seemed that new LiveUpdate
    definitions were appearing daily.

Just my $.02 worth.

In the last week of 1999, it seemed that new LiveUpdate
    definitions were appearing daily.
    visit http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_web_nam

LiveUpdate is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. This is the easiest option for most home and small business users, and it provides a very high level of protection along with ease of use.
    Just follow Avdens advice and report back.. ok

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

HI,
    DID YOU OPEN YOUR NORTHON ANTIVIRUS AND SEE IF SYSTEM SHOWS OK?NO ANY RED MARKED ITEMS?
    YOU CAN GO TO OPTIONS AND SET UP UPDATES PROPERLY.
    MAYBE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PROBLEM BUT I DID HAVE FEW THINGS DISABLED ON NORTON WHEN USING RESTORE POINT.THAT RESTORING TO EARLIER TIME STUFFED MY NORTON TO THE POINT THAT I HAD TO REINSTALL IT COUPLE TIMES UNTIL I REALIZED THAT WAS RELATED TO RESTORING.

GOOD LUCK

well, is your live update enabled?

Question

Yes, I still have free subscription until 2004 and live update is enabled, there were no red marked items.

I followed Avdens advise but it was already there in the registry. I uninstalled Norton restarted the computer and cleared the registry, restart again and installed Norton but still the same problem.