Newbie Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Help

Exclamation Newbie Help

I am rather new to web developement but I hope to use it to help me learn Java/JScript and impliment them them into a web page. My first question was when you first come begin creating it, do you draw everything out on paper or just start in, or is there another better way? Second do you create your own images and if so with what?

Thank you.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I always created my own image for my website. I always use text image so it's nothing very hard. I personnally didn't learn JavaScript. I think the utility of JavaScript is weak compare to PHP. Alot of website offer to host php for free. Php is alot more powerfull that Javascript and the code is hidden also.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

JavaScript can do a lot of things that PHP can't, because it runs on the client-side as opposed to the server-side. It's possible (and extremely easy) to use PHP/JavaScript side-by-side, the contact form on my site is a simple example (the Javacript validates the form before it's submitted, then the PHP double-checks and mails the comments to me).

JavaScript will work on any modern browser that has it enabled, and because it is directly embedded in the HTML and requires no server-interaction (other than to serve the HTML), you can use it on *any* website.

JScript is almost identical to JavaScript, in fact it's just Microsoft's version that runs in Internet Explorer. However, if you write scripts in just "normal" JavaScript (I think the latest version is 1.3) then they will work on Netscape, Mozilla, Opera etc., provided of course that JavaScript is enabled.

For creating my images, I personally use Paint Shop Pro. as I find it easier to learn than Photoshop (and it's a darn sight cheaper!), but you can still create decent effects for it. I'd recommend it to beginners who don't want to start with Photoshop.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Java is good to interact with user on a webpage.. But PHP is soo much better. I personnally had 2 website running with JavaScript. I like the interaction that Java give to my menu with mouseover but my php code that very user who have a login/pass can post a message on the index of my site is ALOT better to me and to the user. And that php code that automatically created my image gallery save me hour of work. 800 Photos is not fun to code in html!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a small note: Java and JavaScript are two totally different things, don't get them confused (the syntax is occassionally similar, but that's about it).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Sorry for that! It's a Friday Mistake! And with a good headache in bonus!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I usually design a website in mind, n then start working over it... while making improvements in the roadway....
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

GreekGoddess
    I've sketched out sites before, especially when the design of it was my main focus. Sometimes I come up with layouts with no practical use except to look pretty and have no idea where to use them because I have to reason to put them anywhere. I'd just sit on the couch, make a general layout sketch, maybe make a list of certain elements I definitely wanted on the page and went from there.

Most of the time, I skip that though and go straight for Photoshop. It really depends on if making the site is for personal uses or for someone else on the organization involved. I don't take the time to sit down and plan out any of the little personal dinky sites I do, it's just a waste. So I'll just open up a new image...and stare at the whiteness until I come up with something. Once I have a basic idea in mind, it all stems from there.

yeah i usually think of ideas to use, but then when i see how it actually looks on the site (and w/ different resolutions than i might have had in mind) - how the color scheme goes with the backround pictures...all that good stuff, i usually make a lot of adjustments. even if youre good at designing, you still learn a lot of cool techniques and looks from simple mistakes or trial and error testing. h0p3 th!s h3lps...

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I personally draw all the graphics out on paper first. Everything starts with a paper and a pencil (and a huge eraser). Once I have the sketch done, depending on the complexity I either head for photoshop, or for 3d studio max.

When trying to decide what my clients want in their sites, I tell them to make a list of needs, wants, and would be awesome if's. Based on those I can compile a list of pages, scripts, graphics, php codes, etc... that I will need to create. As for Java, havn't had a need for it yet. Javascript, I do use that for certain rollover images, simple functions, etc. Javascript does have its uses.

xmad

Oh yeah, be sure to look at your graphics in many resolutions and on many different monitors. That flat screen shows colors way different then that crt does.