Help with Messenger Service
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Messenger Service

Help with Messenger Service

I stopped our messenger service on our new Windows 2000 Advanced server and now can't get it started again. I've rebooted the server twice mid-day and then immediately tried to restart it - I get a 1053 error stating that it could not restart it in a timely fashion or something like that.

Banned
    http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/75622.html maybe this can help ya ..if not ..tell us

me again

Well - that didn't really help - i've tried some of that stuff - but they don't talk about the error I'm getting -

I'm getting a message that says that it cannot start the messenger service - error 1053 - the service did not respond in a timely fashion. I had originally turned it to manual start - and have tried getting it back to automatic - but when I change it to automatic on the properties and click Apply - it locks up the services menu and I have to ctrl alt delete and end the task to get it to go away....its very strange...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You don't have Exchange on there by any chance do you?

One thing you can do is boot to the recovery console and change it to automatic using the CLI. Works every time

If you need step by step instructions, let me know.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

no exchange

Nope - no exchange on it at all - just a few bank programs....and a backup program - vertias to be exact - and that won't start becuase it requires the messenger service to be running - which I can't get to restarat - hence the whole dilemna....

N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

haha

Actually tried that exact thing earlier - searching MS help - came across that exact article without any help.

Is it logging anything in the event log? If so, what is the source?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It's actually not logging anything except for something about a printer not being able to be installed - which was a problem from yesterday - but its logging something about that today - think that is related?

Originally posted here by elrey103
    It's actually not logging anything except for something about a printer not being able to be installed - which was a problem from yesterday - but its logging something about that today - think that is related?
    No but it is easier to search http://www.eventid.net with a source.

I would try thehorse's suggestion. I cannot find anything else relating to the topic.