MS is forcing MSMessenger on us-again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS is forcing MSMessenger on us-again

MS is forcing MSMessenger on us-again

It's a curious coincidence since I just ran Microsoft’s latest update. Now I can't close MS Messenger like I always do when I don't want to use it! Sure I can sign off but the damn thing is still down there leering at me in the system tray. I know what you are saying, there are ways to remove it but - damn. Get this, it says "Can't close messenger because another program is using it, this could include outlook, outlook express, or internet explorer." Hmmpff. I guess they finally started adding it into the OS through the infamous "Windows Update". Annoying us sysaddy’s and users with constant reminders to set up a hotmail account wasn't good enough for Billy and the Boingers.

/end rant.

PS, Yes I do consider it a security thing, or more affectionately ant-security by MS.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I've seen that before, but it's been a while. It was usually happening when either Outlook was running in the background or was closed down prematurely and possibly had some open threads running in the background.

Have you tried a reboot (yes I know it's the standard response to MS problems) yet?

Check your services out and see what's running.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If you select Tool\Options and then uncheck 'Run this program when Windows starts' this will stop Messenger from starting when Windows start.

The Iceman Cometh
    My recommendation, use XP-AntiSpy and remove messenger. If you don't want to do that, or you have a number of computers you need it removed from, there's a reg hack (I can post it online when I get back to my office if you want) which you can import into the registry on all of your systems at startup which will remove it permantely.

AJ

Edit: By the way, I completely agree that it's ridiculous that msmsgs is pushed on us. For my office network, one of my friends found a way to ensure that it never shows up under "Recommended Updates" on WindowsUpdate on any of my systems. I think it was a reg hack, but I'm not sure.

It would seem that the nice Australian wine has finally started to reach my brain (brane)?

I have had some concern about these messaging systems fo some time.

Please try: http://www.bitdefender.com and look for the free (to home users?) tools for MSN, IM, and the lot.............................might be useful to those that use them?

cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    Hey avdven, I would be interest in the regitry hack to complety remove Messenger from Running at all even when Outlook is open. Can you post it here or PM?

Thank you.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I have MSN Messenger 5 and I don't have outlook installed, I get that message too, I sometimes have to close Internet Explorer before I can close MSN Messenger.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

The Iceman Cometh
    I can't find the registry hack at the moment, but here are two commands you can put in a batch file which will remove it...

To Remove Windows Messenger:
    rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

To Remove Extra Windows Messenger Stuff:
    rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf

AJ

PS: I'll keep looking for the reg hack and post it when I find it.

I went to my computer then local dish c. program files.found messenger and rename it.

Ya, that's my beef el-half, you can't close the damn thing when you have Outlook and IE open. Unfortunately, I have family that use MSN (ack) so I am stuck with messenger when I want some comms with them. But when I am not using it I used to close it, now I have to exit Outlook, which is my life blood and brain extension, and close IE. Boring Hassles.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.