Thread: More on Books

More on Books

Hey guys,
    Like I said in my other post on books, I am currently taking C++ in high school. Well after a couple days with my new programming teacher, I found out he is also new to C++(They fired the first one becuz he didnt know anything and he couldnt control his students). Anywayz, the new teacher doesnt know C++ either, so he is learnin with us. So becuz he is going kinda slow for my taste, I bought a book called "C++ In A Nutshell." I was wondering if anyone has read it, and if so , is it a good book for a newbie at C++?

-Ep
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100100000010000100110010101110100011101000111100100100001

Mostly the 'in a nutshell' books are not perfect for learning things. (like step by step)
    They are mostly references to everything about a certain topic.

I (for example) have 'linux in a nutshell', it did not help me to learn linux but if there is a certain command I dont understand I look it up in the index and got a great referance to the command.

They are good books, if you can afford it I would buy it, but they are not like normal study books. Just referance.
    My advice is to use it side by side with the other books you have.
    Dont go chapter by chapter because these books are not built-up like that.
    Learn from one book and use the 'in a nutshell' for greater understanding.

Hope that helps

Practical C++ Programming (Steve Oualline, published by O'Reiily)
    Teach Yourself C++ (Al Stevens, published by Wiley)

are both excellent books to learn from, and tend to teach good programming habits. Practical C++ Programming is a bit more technical, Teach Yourself C++ goes a bit more in-depth.

Of course, there's always the ultimate reference: The C++ Programming Language (Bjarne Stroustrup, published by Addison-Wesley), but it's not really intended for beginners.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I'm a fan of the Deitel's programming books, myself. I've had classes that used their C and Java books, and both are really good. They've written books for C++ as well. The downside is that they're not particularly cheap. But if you're a beginning program, like I still am, they're worth it.

Here's a link to their site....
    www.deitel.com

alpha