Adware and Spyware, HELP

Thread: Adware and Spyware, HELP

Banned

Adware and Spyware, HELP

Does anybody know anything about specific adwares? I recently downloaded this app SpySweeper and i found 10 adwares two which supposedly hijack the modem and dial longdistance calls. Anyone know anything about this?

If you tell us the name of the adware if found ,maybe we could give me info,
    spysweeper is a cool program tho. seems to pick up a lot more then adawre and spybot,
    never heard of adware calling adult sites.tho adult pop up crud maybe,
    theys some viruse`s what download adult dial crud and then call it,so maybe it picked up one of those,

cheers
    \"it is better to stay silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt\"

Banned
    the dialers i found were Xdialer and HotCanada, Spysweeper said that both of them dial toll numbers etc. i read up on them but thats all i know is they dial numbers.

You might want to check out Ad-Aware I use it myself you can get it at http://www.lavasoft.de/

Reportedly; the 'dialers' wait until there is zero activity on the computer, then silently dial a 1-900 telephone number (at $24 - $1200 per min).
    Or they hang up you're current internet connection; and re-dial another service which charges by the minute.

Either way......ya got to get rid of them.
    you might also go to www.spywareinfo.com (X-Clean is downloadable)
    Also try 'Hijackthis' which shows changes to registry....like BHO, Page hijacks, etc

i tried ad-aware program from lavasoft.da, it worked fine at first but i got some adware after removing them i couldn't connect to the internet and couldn't communicate with other computers on my network, so i was forced to restore them.

Flash M0nkey
    (at $24 - $1200 per min).
    i dunno how it is in the states but in the UK all PRS (premium rate services) are governed by ICSTIS - if you think you have been tricked into dialing a PRS number or that it was dialed without your prior consent then you can go through them to lodge a compliant and they will act as a go-between between you and the PRS provider. If they feel the PRS is acting outside of the restrictions imposed upon all PRS services - much the same as Oftel governs other telecomuniations companies they may reward you all costs back plus compensation for time spent pursing the matter as well as closing the PRS service down.

If you feel that this has happened to you (once again may be diferent in other countries to UK) dont bother calling your phone provider (such as BT) as they will refer you to the PRS giverning body (Icstis) and will refuse to get involved. You may think this is stupid as it is your telephone company that is charging you for the call but they are in actual fact only relaying the charge from the PRS company - now this does not mean that you ahve to pay the charges while waiting for invistigation to go ahead - if you contact Icstis they may in turn contact your telephone provider and request those charges be frozen while they invistigate claim......if you contact your telephone provider yourself requesting this is highly unlikly they will do it but instead refer you to PRS governing body.

Now as for the calls been charged at thousands of dollars a min this I think is just an urban legend - I can only say for sure about UK as that is where I live(and worked in Telecommunications - still do ) but there was an urban legend about a woman who would call at a strangers house saying her car had broke done and could she use their phone to call for a tow truck. She would then make a 5min phone call talking as if arranging someone to pick her up and leave - when the phone bill would come in the home owner saw that that 5min call had been placed to a PRS number owned by the woman and for the 5 min call it had cost him 20,000 - this however is a load of crap! PRS providers can not just make up any fgure they wish and charge it per min - the max used to be 1.50 per min it may have increased but I doubt by very much

v_Ln