Thread: Unreliable Wireless Connections

Unreliable Wireless Connections

Specs: Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-500
    D-Link Wireless USB Adapter (DWL-150+)

Have a wireless network and a seperate ad-hoc (peer to peer) network in the house.

I have a computer upstairs (which was initially hooked up to the ad-hoc network). Occasionally, I would like to access the internet with this computer, so I try to connect to the base station downstairs. Problem is, even with the correct WEP key, connection is very intermittent, as it prefers to connect to the ad-hoc network first (since its closer). Tried nearly everything, with no luck.

Any ideas? If i didnt explain it clearly, please tell me
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

try disabling the ad-hoc netwrk before you want to go online, it will be some what of a pain in the but to do every time but it would get rid of the conflict between the two networks. Also make sure you are getting astrong signal form the downstairs network, a weak signal may be the sorce of some problems also.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

D-Link cards blow. Get a Cisco aironet. Sounds like a weak signal to me. Configure card for infrastructure only and tell it which AP to use specifically but if the signal is bad/weak you will have intermitent access.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

The Iceman Cometh
    Also, make sure you're not using a cordless phone running at the same frequency. That can often give you the same results you seem to be experiencing.

AJ

Regal Making Handler
    I don't no anything about wireless networking but i no abit about radio waves.

It sounds like it is definetly a weak signal problem the unreliability will be down to fading of the signal try moving either or both the base station and usb adapter. Even small changes in location can make a difference. Your kit may be in a black spot, that is an area where two radio waves are recieved at the same time cancelling each other out.

Hope this helps.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Check for other source of inteferrence.

Go get a Cisco Aironet 1100 (arround 700$).
    Let\'s go to Paramount Great America !!!! LFC (LookingForChick)

before you go and spend the money on something new or go and switch your whole nework around determine what the true problem is you can look at your signal strenght and such with the program netstumbler its pretty easy to use and its free to boot
    chown -r us ./bases

Originally posted here by mnchur
    before you go and spend the money on something new or go and switch your whole nework around determine what the true problem is you can look at your signal strenght and such with the program netstumbler its pretty easy to use and its free to boot
    I agree check signal strengths and think about possibly moving your WAP to a location where you don't need to go through so much interference. You can also get a directional antenna and point it to the general location of where you need it. Directional antennas definitely boost the signal strength. I have seen one outdoors increase the signal by about a mile but that is high end you can get one for pretty cheap and still boost your strength.

Originally posted here by Maestr0
    D-Link cards blow. Get a Cisco aironet. Sounds like a weak signal to me. Configure card for infrastructure only and tell it which AP to use specifically but if the signal is bad/weak you will have intermitent access.

-Maestr0
    I actually just setup a wireless network at my mothers house using DLINK cards and DLINK Airplus Extreme G and am very satisified with it. Make sure you setup the network to use no less than 802.11b (can effect performance) and if it supports it, make it exclusively 802.11g (much better performance at distances up to/over 75ft.

It sounds to me that if you are having intermittent problems, like you probably have something laying around operating in/around the same frequency band that is interfering with the wireless network. Wireless phones are notorious for this. The DLINK software that came with the card should have a feature that shows you your signal strength to your WAP. If your signal strength is good, start paying attention to what electronics you have between your PC and your WAP. Power them down and then check you strength/quality of connection. You should be able to narrow down the problem...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

if u are seriously concidering a directional antena then you should look in the back issues of 2600 i remember reading an article about building ones at home for extremely chea. From what the writter said they seemed to work fairly well. i think it was in the last fall issue but don't quote me on that
    chown -r us ./bases