Thread: Auto-close old threads

Auto-close old threads

I think it would be a good idea if threads that have been inactive (i.e. haven't been replied to) for a certain period of time (e.g. 3 months) would be closed automatically. Not only would this stop old threads suddenly re-appearing on the front page, but it would also allow these older threads to slip down the forum and be replaced by more recent ones.

Of course, this shouldn't affect sticky/announcement threads (because they need to be active all the time), and older threads would still be available for people to read, it's just that they wouldn't be able to post to them.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

could be good, but I dont think so. Some people post questions that do not get answered right away. Most do, but what about that one guy who's post is answered 4 months later? Mabey a bit late, but a late answer is better then no answer. This would also stop people from being able to post new information on older threads, and force them to start new threads that have the same topic(s) as older threads. just my opinion...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

GreekGoddess
    I agree and disagree with this suggestion. While I think it would save people from going back through old threads to distribute their points and stopping the older threads appearing from pointless bumps, I think it does hinder the use of adding information. For example, a couple of tutorials I've updated, since too much time has passed for me to edit the original post, I have to add on to the thread to share the new information I've found. It's a sloppy way of doing it, but that's the only workaround I have.

Although, on the flip side of that...cross mentioned that people can reply to older threads, which is good and all, but what do most people do when someone replies to an old thread? You neg them into oblivion to close the post.

So you see how I'm caught up between the two...

Originally posted here by GreekGoddess
    I agree and disagree with this suggestion. While I think it would save people from going back through old threads to distribute their points and stopping the older threads appearing from pointless bumps, I think it does hinder the use of adding information. For example, a couple of tutorials I've updated, since too much time has passed for me to edit the original post, I have to add on to the thread to share the new information I've found. It's a sloppy way of doing it, but that's the only workaround I have.

Although, on the flip side of that...cross mentioned that people can reply to older threads, which is good and all, but what do most people do when someone replies to an old thread? You neg them into oblivion to close the post.

So you see how I'm caught up between the two...
    Well, maybe the way to get around this, is to allow only the original poster to bring a thread back to life and bump it. So in your case, you could make your changes, additions or edits and if need be, bump the thread.

Just a thought.

Cheers:
    DjM

As to tutorials, there's already been a suggestion (probably numerous times) to have unlimited edits on the first post of each thread in the tutorials forum, to allow the authors to update their tutorials (I just point people to the latest version on my web site at the moment, but I'd rather the most up-to-date version was here as well).

yes.. Paul (pwaring) brings up a long forgotten suggestion.. and I think if JP could
    of easily fixed it.. it would of been done. but now I imagine that the priorities on the site addtitions/fixes are of a lower active level.. and not to bash jupmedia but it might not be up to their abilities or necessities.. some things have to be relegated to the "it's not worth it" category.

that being said.. jupmedia did fix the delete your own thread.. and if you wanted to delete your old tutorial and repost the new one .. that's available.. also, what's available at the request of a moderator is the option to create a new thread and merge the old one with it but doing this frequently screws up the "time line continuity"..

maybe the best solution would be to repost the new tut.. giving the link to the old tut.. and asking that the old tut thread be closed.. in the old days a mod could edit your orginal post.. but I think that isn't the case anymore.

but if i could vote upon it.. I'd vote that we'd beg for jupmedia take away all restrictions on time limits for a thread.

Unlimited tutorial edits

Yet another suggestion that JM have still not taken on board.

BIOS Bomber
    I dont agree with this. If old threads were on auto close, people would have to start threads on something thats been discussed before. That would be a waste too me. Imagine all the new kazaa threads we would be seeing after this. Also some threads that are old may become relevant again and or someone may want to add something to it that matters. This would prevent that. I think in my opinion threads are closed to fast sometimes. I mean if the person who is making the thread has a bad intro, people jump to close it, and then someone who may have been able to turn the thread into something good dont get a chance. Or they get negged untill its closed by someone and then they just sit on close to being banned because they dont come back.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.