Thread: Prosecuting Worm Writer

Prosecuting Worm Writer

prosecuting the hell out of an 18 year old malicious hacker is like giving a 5 year old the keys to a priceless automobile and scolding the child when they wreck it....IT IS OUR SOCIETY'S FAULT that we have all this " priceless" information on computer's anyway!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont want the data screwed with, leave it as a hard copy. Also, almost every 18 teen boy is destructive...i hope the jury is lenient and remembers that they were young once too......

uhhhhhh, sure.

This should of been posted in cosmos.

Now for what I think about this.

I think that this kid should be prosecuted. I believe this because he is old enough to know that this was a wrong thing to do. However, he decided to go ahead with it. Therefore it was his decision. He is at fault here, not our society.

Now I don't think that they should give a lot of years in prison or anyting, but I do think he should be punished.
    =

Oh, Chad7, you sure do have a lot to learn, don't you?

What happened to ethics, man? There is absolutely NO WAY that I would, first of all write, then release the kind of code that this little punk did. It's just plain destructive.

I also take mild offence at you using the term 'hacker' to describe this lamer. I am a hacker. Do you know what a true one is? Obviously not if you think that's what hacking is all about. It's not. It's about the consumption of information. Knowledge. Testing yourself as well as computer systems.

There are names for people who do the activities our young friend here whose off on a federally-funded vacation. The name is: Dickheads.

Anyway, I think that they should throw the entire bookshelf at him. Nail him for everything that they can (so long as he actually did the things. We don't want no 'cowboy justice').

He had the 'power' but he chose to use it to a destructive and antisocial end. I hope that whatever punishment is dished out to him will make him take stock of what is possible in the future, depending on what colour hat he wears.... White or Black?
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

i agree with you Deathkne11, maybe going to jail (or prison) will teach this kid a lesson. I myself have been to jail and was not a pleasent experiance. prison will probably do him some good.... dont drop the soap!

IT IS OUR SOCIETY'S FAULT that we have all this " priceless" information on computer's anyway!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont want the data screwed with, leave it as a hard copy.
    So then by this same logic, we should be lenient to an 18yr old bank robber too.

As its our societies choice to use banks to store large amounts of cash, and its just part of life for the common 18yrs old to need money.

RRP

Re: Prosecuting Worm Writer

When i was 18 i wasnt destructive in that kind of manner, this kid writing code to do damage to as many computers as possible for no reason other than his amusement is absurd. Our judicial system will probably just give him community service and one or two years probabation.

ok ....ok.....maybe i am going a bit overboard with the society thing and all....i was just to trying to spark a little conversation......i suppose i am just wondering what should be the proper punishment...i mean honestly......and i dont know if i can agree with the bank robber analogy because when someone is robbing a bank, there is a chance someone could get injured or die....which i hope will never happen in the IT field.......lol

and..........i just wanted to say i dig this site.....it is cool to have a forum to express opinions and i appreciate the time you all took to respond....chad7

id say the destructive phase is usually over by age 16. by age 18 one is supposed to be responsibe for their own actions. hes a looser trying to gain the respect of even bigger loosers. His actions show compleat disrespect for the property of others. What he did, knowing full well how this worm was spreading, has to earn him more than a slap on the wrist. Real fear is a great teacher of respect. A short prison term will definitly change his point of view or if his capture has already smacked some sense into him, a suspended sentance and a probation period will keep him reminded.

chad7 i thought that this was phrased to be provokative but come on...societys fault? thats obscene.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    which i hope will never happen in the IT field...
    People shouldn't blindly belive that simply because your sitting behind a computer at home gives you no right to proced in illegal activities and still be safe from harm and the police. Because it doesn't. If you really want to hack then buy a second computer and connect it up to your LAN and hack that instead there is no law against that.