Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best

Question what is the best

What is the best anti virus program? I use norton as it was pre-installed. but im not sure if there are better programs available

Best....Thats sort of a judgement call. It really depends on your personal preference. A lot of people use AVG because it is free with free updates and works quite well. Here is a link to AVG's site
    www.grisoft.com
    -NeuTron

Hi mate!

You have asked the impossible question there It all depends on you and your kit, I suppose. I do use, and recommend, PC-Cillin from Trend Microsystems...........you have to pay for it, but it runs very sweetly, with daily updates, on my Win2K machines...........also works with other operating systems...I just happen to use 2K a lot.

The reason that I like it is that it does an additive update, rather than re-load the whole thing, and that it will do it in the middle of what you are doing without freezing your machine (only tested with a PII/333MHz at the low end)

I probably use about 5 or 6 others, but that is my suggestion.

Now Do you have a firewall?............try some of this stuff, and keep the thread going until you are satisfied.I have posted a couple of tutorials that might help on "preventative measures"

Firewall: ZoneAlarm from zonelabs

AdAware( from lavasoft), and SpyBot Search & Destroy.

All are free to single private users ( no....you don't have to divorce the wife )

You will have to use your search engine to find them because I am too lazy to find the links!

Cheers

Or you could check a few out and see which one suite you operating enviroment...
    Some are better for office applications, some are better for games.. some aren't.. some hit well some don't..

Check this thread for a hint of what is available..
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=248056
    there is a forum link in there as well..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

As about everyone's said, it really is more a matter of preferance rather then 'better or worse'...

One not mentioned yet that I like, is Panda Antivirus - if nothing else, when I first installed it on a machine that was running Nortan, it was able to immediatly detect and remove 3 infected files that my Nortan never detected.

Also, if you use Outlook, it works hand and hand with Outlook much nicer then Nortan seems to - it will even detect and remove viruses on incoming email headers...

RRP

Nortan
    which do you mean here
    Norman
    Norton
    or Nortan

If it is Nortan.. I am interested in a url so I can check it out..(google didn't help me..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted by nihil
    Firewall: ZoneAlarm from zonelabs

AdAware( from lavasoft), and SpyBot Search & Destroy.

I totally agree with nihil (not to mention the rest!) about the fact of 'preventative measures' are very necessary. After all, it's better to stop the nasties at the door rather than deal with them later so a good firewall is highly reccommended. ZoneAlarm is probably the best one out there (thats free, anyway ) but there are a few others that are worthy of a look.

As far as AV is concerned, may I reccommend Eset's NOD32. Again, this is one you gotta pay for, but it's well worth it (IMHO). Deep searching but also amazingly fast. Returned a 100% detection rate (providing you keep your sigs updated).

Hope this helps.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

We have a magazine in UK called PCPlus dont know if its published anywhere else, They done a huge article on AV's whereby they infected a computer with 500 well know virisus, tried 10 well known AV's. Here are the results:

1. PC -cillin 495/500 virisus recognized
    2 Norton 454/500
    3.Command AV 442/500
    4.Sophos 440/500
    5.McAfee 432/500
    6.AVG (free edition) 398/500
    7.EZ AV 387/500
    8.Panda AV Platinum 340/500
    9BitDefender (Home) 302/500
    10.Achilles'sheid 254/500

This was done the back end of last year, so new versions of all the AV's have prob come out by now, but it gives a good idea of what AV to pick i think! I certinaly woul'nt recommend any of the bottom 4!

Thanks Nokia Wow sudenly AVG doesn't look quite so hot. I had a quick look on the pcplus web site and found the whole thing online as a PDF
    http://www.pcplus.co.uk/media/pcplus...20software.pdf

It seems they have back issues available as PDFs for free how good is that eh?!