Exploits? We don't need no stinking exploits!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploits? We don't need no stinking exploits!

Banned

Exploits? We don't need no stinking exploits!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...548967124.html

Good to see social engineering is still alive and kicking, down under anyhow. Also good to see that people are still confusing "terrorism" with other crimes like "theft."

catch

"Outsourcing" is the crime........................if you cannot run your own IT, you cannot run your business?

cheers

Shortly after 9/11 I was in a newly set-up control room for a regional power grid. They gave me quite a show regarding buying and selling power, etc., with most transactions conducted over the internet. I was duly impressed, but wondered about the securty of the systems. They informed me that they had hired a consultant to check out the systems and he said they were secure. They were satisfied at that and had no in house expertise to evaluate new threats, had no real time intrusion detection, etc. No, they weren't located in Ohio, but maybe next time???

Outsourcing is common practice, you think all those help Desks all around the world are actually run by every company they represent? Having your own IT department that handles everything is a luxury. The curious thing is that EDS is one of the largest outsourcing companies out there, you would think they have there access procedures down.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt....................I have worked for an outsourcing IT company............notwithstanding the fraudulent demands that they made on their staff, they are a shower of what I believe you American allies refer to as "meat beaters"

sure...outsource your hardware support...no problems...but I stand by what I said on the rest

cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt....................I have worked for an outsourcing IT company............notwithstanding the fraudulent demands that they made on their staff, they are a shower of what I believe you American allies refer to as "meat beaters"

sure...outsource your hardware support...no problems...but I stand by what I said on the rest

cheers
    I support your view as well, like you, Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt too. The company I worked for, their only thought was how much money can we suck out of the clients and screw the service. The smallest things, which I would usually consider normal support, had to be turned into a 'project' so the outsourcer could assign a project manager (more money) and a project review committee (more money), and document the hell out of it (more money), what a bunch of bullshit. As you can likely tell, I am no fan of outsourcing.

Cheers:
    DjM

OK, if you are looking at it from a service quality point of view - a lot of them DO suck. In fact I can't believe some of the crap that's out there.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

RoadClosed, I hope that you do not think that DjM and I are "having a go" so to speak..............yeah, we believe in service...that is what IT is about?

Then the bean counters think that they can "save" money by outsourcing...so you get a new name on your paycheck.....and you are told to fix your hours so that they are billable.....and you cannot supply the same level of service to colleagues you always used to......etc....

NOT a good way to go IMHO?

cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    you are told to fix your hours so that they are billable.....and you cannot supply the same level of service to colleagues you always used to
    It's all coming back to me now. I think I'll go for a beer before I go on a major rant.

Besides, I think we just hijacked this thread, sorry catch.

Cheers:
    DjM

I apologise to all concerned...................I let the past catch up with me.......the Banrock Station Shiraz Mataro will lull me to sleep I am sure............cheers folks