War dialers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War dialers

War dialers

Hi all,
    Just a quick question really, can you use a "War Dialer" if you have broardband, as it isnt stricktly a dial up connection?

Thanks!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

I'm a bit suspicious on you motives for wanting to know this but I'll give you a quick explanation. In order to War Dial you need a way for your computer to dial (ie. a modem). If you have a modem your computer can make a "phone call" and therefore has the ability to war dial. Why do you ask?

War Dialing is basically obsolete. (Not totally, but pretty much) After the phone companies started using ESS to digitally switch calls you will find wardialing will get you alot of phone calls from pissed off people who *69'ed your ass because your modem called them at 3:00am and squealed in their ear.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Thanks guys, dont get all suspisious NeuTron, I have just read Uberhacker by " the happy hacker" and she mentioned war dialing, I was just a bit curious as to if it would work with a ADSL modem.
    Thanks for the info tho!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Cool...........sorry for the paranoia *used to smoke a lot*

Maestr0: today's war dialers do not make sequencial calls for extended periods of time; as stated in this thread about war dialers: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=223516
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

i dunno this is only a suggestion, but you get the micro filters, one for the broadband and one for the phone line. A splitter type device.

Could you not just get a PC with a modem and plug it into where the phone is supposed to go? at the end of the day all your looking for is phone lines that have modems on, have you ever used your phone to ring a dial up account ISP?

Just for educational purposes theres alot of source code at packetstorm for wardialers.

Dial-up services are still used, for service engineers, traffic lights and data collection

i2c

You cant sue war dialers but there are similar things, There are attacks that can be used in broadband and can be used against broadband, I have one at home but the name slips my mind atm, what it does is send mass amounts of pigs to the person, oh yea its called panther nuker, its kind of lame but it does the trick, doesnt work well againt broadbands mostly just bogs downt there connection rather then make them lose it, against a dial up it kicks them fast, me and a friend were using it on each other a while back just to mess around and try new toys.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

War dialing is still useful against certain targets, but for mass dialing it's not so great. For example, one could target a specific business based on their assigned number. Say its 555-5555 for the main number. So, in the Telco world most businesses have extra lines that roll to the main number so that they can receive more than one incoming call. It just happens to be, that phone companies assign blocks; so the rollover numbers may be 555-5556, 5557, 5558 and so on. Other companies have a completely separate block from the main number, but they are still in blocks. All you have to do is have someone call you back from the company after an innocent inquiry of something. Look my Caller ID says 555-2222, next block of targets...

Following that same logic, one could go to a whois site and do a lookup on the technical contact for a web site. Hmmm there is 555-9999, let me set my war dialer to 555-0001 to 555-9999 and see what happens? Most likely the technical contact could be located at the same location as a data center and most likely they have a modem for remote access at 3: am when the pager goes off. Now I have something to work with. At 2 o’clock in the morning who’s going to notice a nice stealthy probe? And once a number is established as a modem, keep on hitting it – night after night, heck it’s automated, eventually someone is going to leave it on or make a mistake and forget to turn of PC Anywhere.

Lovely…

I have a technical contact far away from my actual sites. Best not to place a number on the contact web page that is located near as well, if you can get away with it. Not only does it give potential modem targets away but you have also given away the geo-location of the site as well. Keep them separate if your paranoid and can work around it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

if it is legitimate use, ask your isp if it isn't? One question, are you complitely tired of your peaceful life?