Newbie Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Unhappy Newbie Question

First, I feel pretty lame asking this quetion. I can see that most peoples experience with computers far exceed mine. Second, I am not trying to do anything that does not comply with AO's code of conduct or illegal......Me and my brother are just getting into computers and Im trying to find out how to connect to his remotely...not to do any damage, just mess with him. He's doing the same thing to me, I just aint figured out how yet. If anybody has a tutorial or any insight they would like to share to a beginner, I would greatly appreciate it...We both run Windows XP....
    Learning more about myself and my capabilities everyday. Im getting faster and stronger and Im learning more about my opponents. Hope you\'re ready for the showdown. [blur]L0ST BOY[/blur]

Might wanna read up on Telnet and FTP
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

Ive tried Telnet default port 23. Ive tried FTP port 21. Ive used the netstat -a [his ip address] to see what ports are listening. Every port Ive tried to open with Telnet either actively refuses it or says timed out????
    Learning more about myself and my capabilities everyday. Im getting faster and stronger and Im learning more about my opponents. Hope you\'re ready for the showdown. [blur]L0ST BOY[/blur]

Before 'Telnet' or 'FTP' work....they have to be installed on the remote computer.
    They will then accept connection

Is it possible for me to install it remotely????

Hey lostboy.....since you both have XP; It includes 'Remote Desktop' and 'Remote Assistance'.

Problem solved: Just enable them and off ya go.

Why would you want to install it remotley, it sounds like you are in the same place, so would'nt you be able to get to both computers??
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

We are not in the same place...I do have access to his computer though if I go to his house, but that would spoil the surprise...

Hey decongram, I'll try your advise when I get to my home computer...Thanks

I feel pretty lame asking this quetion.
    Don't. You came to the right place, but make sure you try google before anything else.

If you can shell out about $120, you can buy two wireless usb adapters and set up an ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) network. No need for a router, which makes it a pretty good investment, and you can share files, play games, etc.

Im trying to find out how to connect to his remotely...not to do any damage, just mess with him.
    Hehe, ditto here. Winnuked my brother with the RPC DCOM exploit, shut down his computer. Hecka funny, got in trouble from my mom though.

Here are some of suggested wireless usb adapters:
    http://www.wireless-index.com/wireless_usb_adapters/

Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

EDIT: Sorry, didnt know you guys were apart. -_-
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Thanks showtime8000.......I posted my question a couple hours ago and already have gotten replies with good advise.....I like this site

The main thing is, I dont want him to know its me (until I feel like telling him anyway) I just want to hear about his reaction and laugh. We are both going to be trying to break into each others computers and learn this security thing....