Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch Adrian... if you can.

Thumbs up Catch Adrian... if you can.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6888

"FBI agents armed with a federal arrest warrant out of New York were searching for Adrian Lamo Thursday, SecurityFocus has confirmed. "

"Lamo frequently stays at his parents' home, but he was not there at the time of the FBI's visit, and has not returned since. His mother contacted the Federal Public Defender's office in Sacramento, which has agreed to handle his surrender. "

"Until now, his cooperation and transparency have kept him from being prosecuted. Lamo's hacked Excite@Home, Yahoo, Blogger, and other companies, usually using nothing more than an ordinary Web browser. Some companies have even professed gratitude for his efforts: In December, 2001, Lamo was praised by communications giant WorldCom after he discovered, then helped close, security holes in their intranet that threatened to expose the private networks of Bank of America, CitiCorp, JP Morgan, and others. "

He's an idol. And he's being chased down. Any thoughts?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

er0k
    haha add an "r" to lamo :P

Im sorry but he's gotta be pretty stupit to compromise a system and then go tell the company about it and expect to be viewed as a guardian angel...I know it'll piss the hell out of me ..Ild be gratefull ofcourse for finding the exploits, nontheless pissed off.

However I dont think he desrves a heavy sentence. Probation with community service at best..

Just my opinion,,

er0k
    who's this "her" you speak of gunit?

typo

Yea, lets fill our jails with hackers and people caught with drugs, while the rapists and murderers go free because there isnt any room. Great idea!

Hell at least he helped them find it. He could have found the holes and used it for his own play time. I dont think hes lame on the simple fact that he helped them close a hole he found. And also he hasnt been using these for HIS advantage. Hes notified them instead and had them close it.

Kinda like hackers did back in the day. "Hey admin, patch your box, heres how:" LOL.

I think its a great shame that the New York Times couldnt see the benifits of someone with ethics finding and reporting theres vunerablitys,

I really think its about pride, I think the Network admins were annoyed that someone with no fixed address, who travels the country, was capable of this. Instead of the Network admins who were blatently uncapable of accepting they were wrong and working with him

Hopefully the judge when he is found will acknowledge that what he was doing was infact right, if against the law.

Hopefully he can get somepeople he worked with on other security jobs to stand up for him

i2c

er0k
    Originally posted here by gore
    Yea, lets fill our jails with hackers and people caught with drugs, while the rapists and murderers go free because there isnt any room. Great idea!
    meh... i don't think you put the drug users in the right area, they are just as bad as rapists/murderers, as they:

a. kill/rape people more often when using drugs
    b. get the youth involved
    c. use drug money for bad ****, such as policitical influence
    d. kill people FOR drugs
    e. drugs are bad, mmkay

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here is another example why the laws dealing with "hacking" should be more flexible. Here is a guy, although crappy in the way he went about it, who exposed vulnerabilities and then assisted in fixing them. At the same time, there are others out there who clearly do the exact opposite yet each of them are getting pinched with the same charges.

I sure hope that our fearless leaders begin to educate themselves before throwing more worthless legislation on the table when clearly there are major strides to be made with existing laws.

--my 2 cents

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hey i2C,

If I break into your house, without your knowldge, and rummage through your personal belongings and then a month later call you up and tell you

"Oh hi, you dont know me, but I took the liberty to break into your house the other day and I noticed your house is not as secure as you think, and oh by the way, dont worry I didnt steal anything. Im just going around the neighborhood and attempting to break into people's homes without their permission, just to help them and identify which ones are unsecure"

Would you be pissed off?? Come on man....What gives,,sure I agree with you, his intensions were maybe honest,,,But he still broke the law and what he did was illegal and dumb.

just an opinion,,,