Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch Adrian... if you can.

Originally posted here by er0k

meh... i don't think you put the drug users in the right area, they are just as bad as rapists/murderers, as they:

a. kill/rape people more often when using drugs
    b. get the youth involved
    c. use drug money for bad ****, such as policitical influence
    d. kill people FOR drugs
    e. drugs are bad, mmkay
    =o

Ok, your stating things you arent to sure of.

One, people kill for drugs and **** like that and are violent because of drugs because:

THERE NOT LEGAL ANYMORE.

The same with alcohol, when it was against the law for a while, what happened? The Mob started bringing it in and violence broke out everywhere. Look at the US, this country is more strict on drugs than any other, and look at our crime rate to any other countries.

People wouldnt get murdered for drugs if they were legal and could be bought. People getting raped? I think not, its ok in America to get drunk and beat your wife, but smoking opium and relaxing is sooooo bad right?

Have you EVER heard of someone smoking pot or opium beating there wife? No, they hug them and eat some tacos and go to bed. If the US made pot and opium legal we prolly wouldnt have so many crimes happening everyday, people would be to stoned and happy to go kill anyone.

Originally posted here by gunit0072003
    Hey i2C,

If I break into your house, without your knowldge, and rummage through your personal belongings and then a month later call you up and tell you

"Oh hi, you dont know me, but I took the liberty to break into your house the other day and I noticed your house is not as secure as you think, and oh by the way, dont worry I didnt steal anything. Im just going around the neighborhood and attempting to break into people's homes without their permission, just to help them and identify which ones are unsecure"

Would you be pissed off?? Come on man....What gives,,sure I agree with you, his intensions were maybe honest,,,But he still broke the law and what he did was illegal and dumb.

just an opinion,,,
    Wheres the proof he looked around? And you cant think about it like a house because your family isnt sitting in your ****in PC case man. HUGE difference.

hey gore,

Are we talking about proving that he did it, or stating the fact that he did and wether to prosecute him or not for doing so??? Two different arguments man!!!

And sure you can think of it as a house. He may not be able to physically harm you by breaking into your PC, but he can cause monetary damage (which these days to a company is worth more than a human life)..And also, what is the value of your personal privacy worth to you?

he escaped and is living in my basement for a day until some hippies come in a 1962 vw bus to take him to the underground.
    Good Grief

this kid hacks company's and helps them fix any security holes before some other hacker steals CC#'s ,passwords, takes down the site and or what ever else they want to do. and some overly pridefull admin takes it personaly because he thought his site was UNHACKABLE gets pissed off that someone might just have a little more knowledge that him and now the kid faces jail time what a joke the company should be thanking Adrian for catching the problem before someone less ethical did!! just my thoughts!
    Windows geht.net Enterprise Sever

Originally posted here by gunit0072003
    hey gore,

Are we talking about proving that he did it, or stating the fact that he did and wether to prosecute him or not for doing so??? Two different arguments man!!!

And sure you can think of it as a house. He may not be able to physically harm you by breaking into your PC, but he can cause monetary damage (which these days to a company is worth more than a human life)..And also, what is the value of your personal privacy worth to you?
    Lol, reminds me of the Anti Flag song "Im being watched by the CIA"

What are they going to tell people? I jerk off alot and do drugs?

Yea what he did may have been wrong but I duno, I guess its just the fact that he didnt destroy anythnig and he did tell and help the guys secure the holes when he didnt have too. If I was an admin and there were holes in my system Id want to know and I would prolly thank him for pointing them out and helping me fix them.

I dont think of it as a house though because he wasnt putting anyone in any direct harm. Walking into someones house, its smoething they live in, a computer is something they work on. And besides, I didnt break into websites with a browser but I can Thank God that I'm not in prison from **** I did back in my learning days about 2 years ago when I got into an IRC chat server with by best friend. All we did was see if we could, and then we made chats based on the ones for that server. Im talking about www.bolt.com

They know we have chats and **** but they really dont mind, Iv talked to the staff myself, and even though thay dont like it they arent mad or banning us. (That and the fact that the only way to use them on IRC is to use there java client in a webpage and that doesnt work to good with Linux). They are actually nice about it.

I have messaged them a few times with helping to fix up the servers because they lag horribly and run Apache tomcat on Windows 2000 and I tried helping them to fix it up a bit. They appreciated me helping but never did anything.

And yet, he could have started a security consulting buisness....contacted the companies and said that on routine browesing to identify problems, that he found these holes in their system. Then charged them massive amounts of money to identify anf fix the problems, and every one would have been happy.
    Strange what is illegal forn one person, is perfectly legitimate buisness practices for anouther.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Do you have any idea how much it costs to start a business? You get tax breaks in the US but you need money to do that. After Im outta college Ill be doing that to but I know itll costs alot already. You cant just start up a business because you feel like it if you dont have the money.

Kwiep
    Lamo believes the arrest warrant is for his most high-profile hack. Early last year he penetrated the New York Times, after a two-minute scan turned up seven misconfigured proxy servers acting as doorways between the public Internet and the Times private intranet, making the latter accessible to anyone capable of properly configuring their Web browser.

Once inside, Lamo exploited weaknesses in the Times password policies to broaden his access, eventually browsing such disparate information as the names and Social Security numbers of the paper's employees, logs of home delivery customers' stop and start orders, instructions and computer dial-ups for stringers to file stories, lists of contacts used by the Metro and Business desks, and the "WireWatch" keywords particular reporters had selected for monitoring wire services.
    So if I read it correctly he understood what he was doing and he's smart enough to not get caught already. Besides I really dislike the "lamer and "scriptkiddy" stamps, I think that is enough to say he's not just someone with malicous intends. He did it for ethical reasons and because it was appearantly so ****ing easy. You could almost say with them open proxies at the times server (or something) it was just exposed to the internet like it was "just normal" to view the information.
    I guess the FBI is doing what it's ment to be doing, but it's an ethical question to say if he was wrong or right. He didn't have to actually browse the information, but with his past things he shows he did it to help them secure their stuff. He's like a "hacker' described in all texts from 20 years ago. The hacker wich is addicted to information and thinks it should be free for all, after wich this one even had the guts to tell the people what he did with the intend to help them.

In a telephone interview, Lamo said he was in California, but does not plan to turn himself in until after conferring with the attorney. The hacker was quick-witted and seemingly in good humor, with only a trace of nervousness in his voice. He quipped about the proper etiquette of being arrested by the FBI, and suggested jokingly that SecurityFocus should purchase the publication rights to a favorite photo. He said he was in the company of a camera crew producing a television documentary on hackers.
    edit:
    quotes from http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/32673.html
    Double Dutch

Originally posted here by gore
    Do you have any idea how much it costs to start a business? You get tax breaks in the US but you need money to do that. After Im outta college Ill be doing that to but I know itll costs alot already. You cant just start up a business because you feel like it if you dont have the money.
    Actually, dependent upon the state you are residing in, it can cost little or no money. Of course if you wish to protect yourself and incorperate, then it does get rather expensive. Approximently $2500 or so for basic incorperation.
    Yes, I am very aware of the costs, since I have an incorperated buisness.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Personally I think what he did was a great thing. Back in my days of "questionable" computer activities, there were some shopping cart programs that would rather easily display CC information. We're talking everything Billing Address CC Number, the lil security number on the back of the card, even what they had ordered from the company. In my boredom I'd go around and see which companies running that shopping cart software (Google <file>.cgi) and see if they were vulnerable. I'd contact the company and notify them if they were, I figure if I was buying from them, I wouldn't want my information available to anyone who wanted to spend a lil time getting it. I'd tell them to fix the hole or in 30 days I'd tell everyone they were vulnerable to it. For the most part they would thank me, occasionally they'd be *****s and threaten legal action, but it never happened, but they did all fix their systems....

If a person is doing good, they should be praised for it. If they do something malicious, then it's a problem. Think of it like this. You are walking down the road, you see a guy raping a girl, so you step in and end up beating the **** outta the guy. No one's gonna charge you, you were doing the right thing. However if you are walking down the road and beat the **** outta the guy just because he's standing there, you're gonna be in trouble.